• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB What does MGB MGBVC mean?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4550350468

All right, YES, I'm on ebay. Not much info on this car, and terrible pictures, but I've emailed the seller for detailed shots and other info. An automatic??? There wasn't too many of those, were there?

Thinking about a car for my dot. Shipping to IL from Washington is under $1100 or could send dahubby with truck and trailer. IF I get more information from the guy and if it's within our price range. But I'm confused by the MGBVC...

Radford

Jedi Knight
Automatic, what a way to ruin a perfectly good sports car. Really have no clue about the VC bit. I thought you'd give dadot the B when you got that A for your birthday!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I can't part with my very first LBC. And a couple years ago I wanted a bike for my b-day, happened to be a Honda. Didn't get it. Don't expect any A under the birthday tree this year either...particularly at the price that guy was asking!

Da dot skeers me driving a manual. I've taken her driving in the B a couple times. I know she'd learn, but living in the city, an automatic would be ideal. She has a 10 year old Saturn with nearly 200,000 miles on it. Has been broken into twice, stolen once and totalled out by the insurance company. She loves the B. IF I get enough info on this car to make a determination on its worth, we'll see what she wants to do. (at 25 with a medical degree, I don't buy her cars!)

I suppose I never thought about MG making automatics. There can't be many of them floating around. And you're right, I much prefer my stick. The MGBVC has me stumped. I asked the seller what he means by that. We'll see when I hear from him.

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
MGB Very Cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Can't stand it any longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif Wild @$$ guess, the V is for North American and the C...the year of the car, maybe???? Or does it indicate the auto tranny? Do not recall seeing VC with MGB.

IMHO, I will be suprised if the reserve is met on this one. However, it IS eBay. I would be skeptical about a car that has only been drive THREE times in NINE YEARS. Not sure what they mean by MINT CONDITION. Have they RECENTLY gone through and replaced what needs to be replaced or it WAS in MINT condition NINE years ago. Don't think I would trust the brake system on a car that has been drive 3 times in 9 years. Wonder just how old the gasoline is in it. And so on and so forth. Then again, it just might be a great buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Good point. And all on the list of questions I have for the seller. He did say he would email more detailed pictures to me on Monday. I'll look them over closely, and then hit him with the list of questions.

Happened to run across an orphaned B when I was out driving. Sitting all by herself on the parking lot of a gas station with a for sale sign in her. Black LE, looked nice from the road, but was too many people on my butt to swing into the station. Got wrapped up in riding and totally forgot to go back by. Hmmm. Nice evening for a ride, think I'll drive by, is only 15 minutes from my house.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I know, I searched for it too Mark. A rarity, to say the least.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Ran to look at the black LE sitting at the gas station. Missed the owner by 5 minutes, attendant said. Car's been for sale 2 days, didn't know any specifics on price etc., but knew the owner a long time. "Nice guy." So I left my phone number with the station owner. I'll try tomorrow evening a little earlier. Said he took it home to put it back in the garage for the night.

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
Said he took it home to put it back in the garage for the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOW THAT IS A GOOD THING!!!! Hmmm, it is how far to St. Louis, yet again HOW MANY STATIONS ARE THERE IN ST. LOUIS!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

This sounds MUCH better. After all, an automatic MGB is like taking your sister to the prom, IMHO.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
The auto would be for my daughter. I'd never drive anything but a stick.

OK to STL? 8 hours maybe? Depending where you are. We're about 6 hours from Tulsa, via I-44. The car's actually sitting in Millstadt IL, 15 minutes from me, 30 from the Arch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif Interested? I had my digital camera along, but the car was already home in bed.

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
Knew you were looking for the doctor. Just giving you the "biz" over the car. Does sound like it might be something to consider. Bet she would have more fun with it than the auto.

Have not been to St. Louis since the kids were small. Took a bit longer than 6 hours for THAT trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Having some great MGB weather. Sneaking a cruise in when I can.

Hope you can get a pic or two of the LE.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
Wonder if MGBVC is a typo. Didn't they use RC to denote the automatic? MGBRC?

Guess I need to go for a NIGHT drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
78, you need to take a road trip to STL this fall, September, our club's "All British Car Show." I'll post details in the other forum when it gets closer. Weekend of the 17th.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Wonder if MGBVC is a typo. Didn't they use RC to denote the automatic? MGBRC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remote-controlled? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
The Automatic MGBs use a 3-speed Borg-Warner unit. They aren't really suited well to the car imho. It shifts too soon, and only three gears is not good when you are already underpowered.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Got an email from the seller: (along with a ton of pics)

FAR from mint, IMHO.
pics... https://64.85.8.57/mgb/

I will try to answer all of your questions, if I miss any please feel free to ask them again. I had to put the pictures on a website because there are too many to send by email. You can access the site at https://64.85.8.57/mgb/ If you have any problems accessing this site or wish to have some of the pictures emailed to you, let me know.

As for rust on the car there is none that we could find. The car was painted about 4 years ago. Also around that time the interior was redone.

There are pictures of the engine; however I was not able to locate a serial number on the engine. To the best of our knowledge the transmission is factory original not after market. The car shows no signs of ever being in an accident that we could find. The gentleman that owns the car says that the car performs outstandingly with the automatic transmission.

Right after purchasing the car the owner's wife passed away, and it has been stored ever since.

If I have forgotten anything please contact me.

looks like it has been de smogged.

mark

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Interesting. It doesn't look too bad, but someone has been playing in the engine compartment. IE: Removed the oil cooler, weird connection on the top radiator hose, and I'm not sure what type of carb that is. Looks like a SU HIF6 or 44.

Jim 67B

Jedi Hopeful
For those who don't know about Washington State, Seattle lots of rain and every thing does rust. Colville is in the eastern part of the state and the climate is very dry. The Cascade Mountains divide the state and the west side is wet and east side is very dry. If the car has been in the eastern part of the state it should be as rust free as a California car.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
so what does the VC stand for? Did you forget to ask?