• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stainless Steel Exhaust

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
I know this has been discussed before but ...

I have some holes in one of my(mild steel) rear mufflers, the ones that are not available any more. I am searching our to see if I can get one to replace it but I also have a few questions that I'd like some opinions on if I go SS:

1. I've read that the SS systems from Moss sound "tinnier" than the original or quieter maybe. Since the Healey sound is unique and one of my favorite things, how bad is the change?

2. It has been suggested that, if I have to go SS, that I may want to get the BJ7 version vs. the one for the BJ8. the cost is half and may compensate for the quieter sound of the correct one. I am proud of the BJ8 but am far from concours so the change would not be a big deal for me. Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Frank,
You can get mild steel silencers for front and rear on your BJ8 from AH Spares without buying a complete new system. I have bought a lot of stuff from them and always very pleased. You can even place an order but request a shipping cost quote prior to releasing the order to see what it might cost to ship to you. I usually figure about 15 to 20 %.

As to the the sound of ss versus mild steel, there are posts running now on that very subject. I have heard ss does not give you the same exhaust note and as have always had mild steel, cannot personally vouch for that. I did use a BJ7 mild steel system on a BJ8 and it worked well and definitely had more bark in it than the full BJ8 system. Recall the mounting holes on the frame of a BJ8 might have been a bit off for a BJ7 system but worked around it without too much work.
Regards,
Mike

www.ahspares.co.uk

OP
Frank C.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, Mike, for the info. I'll check out the site ... still haven't made up my mind yet.
Frank

Country flag
The problem is the reason for replacing the system in the first place. It gets replaced when it get old and full of holes and thus louder. Replace with new ss and it is much quieter. But even steel will be quieter. Different tuning will make a difference too. I like the ss cause I can almost carry on a conversation.

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Frank,

I too have a BJ8, and bought the Falcon SS system for a BJ7. I had to move the rear mount on the system about an inch to align with the BJ8 mount to get it to fit. I wish the rear tubes were larger though, it seems that they restrict the overall flow. I haven't even had the car on the road yet, and the rear strap that holds the two rear pipes together fatigued at the weld joint. Since they just weld a strap across the top of the tubes, this allows the tubes to move up and down slightly which resulted in the failure. Whether that was due to the relocated mount or poor design, I can't say. I fixied by putting another strap between the pipes at 90 degrees to the existing one to keep the tubes from moving with respect to each other. I think that will fix the problem. Otherwise the system seems fine. Now if I can just keep from scraping it when I take it off the trailer, I'll be happy....dooooohhhhh. 8^)

Jerry Rude
BJ8
Lotus Europa TCS

OP
Frank C.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks guys for the input ... in the end, I decided to go with the SS BJ8 system from Moss. I think it is pricey but at least it is on sale right now. I think tahoe healey makes a good point, any new exhaust will be quieter than what I have now.

OP
Frank C.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
Update ... I put the Moss SS system on yesterday and (so far) am very pleased with the look and sound. The biggest problem I see is that it has more shine than my wheels, bumpers or grill!