• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stainless steel brake hoses - two questions

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - not sure if I'm giving into a desire for bling here or if they'll actually make a different. So,

1) Do they make a difference on our cars?

2) Are the hoses the same on the original front drum and if I retrofit front discs from a later car?

Hope everyone is betting some driving in.

Thanks

SAMidget

Hi tdskip,

Thanks for trying to fix the link of my photos. I have been reading about steel brake hoses and they are stronger and less prone to wear and tear.

dklawson

Yoda
I have them on the Mini and my project Spitfire. There are many people who report firmer brake pedals when the stainless braided hoses are used. At the same time I switched to DOT-5 fluid and I can't say I noticed any difference in the pedal after I switched. However, this could be because I changed the two things at once.

I chose to switch after a collapsed brake hose on the Mini. The outside of the hose looked perfect but the inside had closed off forming a check valve. You'd be driving along fine and go to apply the brakes. After you took your foot of the brake pedal the car would still be struggling to move forward... or wouldn't move if you were at a stop sign. I'd had enough and made the switch. I'm happy with the decision.

dklawson

Yoda
mrzippy said:
carefully route them <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">make sure they do not provide an electrical ground point </span></span></span>do not over tighten

What exactly is the concern with grounding and what are you worried about grounding? The calipers and wheel cylinders are already grounded as are the metal brake lines.

John_Shep

G'Day tdskip,
In my experience, the braided hoses will make a significant difference if you use your car for track work. On the road, you will probably not notice much difference.
Hope this helps,
John Shep.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I recently re-did the entire brake system on my EType and decided to go with stainless braided hoses. One reason is that I've heard they give you a firmer feel (yet to be tested). Another reason (besides they look great) is that they're not as prone to deterioration over time like the original rubber hoses.

Did I mention they look great?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Actually they are really called armored brake lines. Required on a lot of stock and race cars to protect the lines from chaffing or puncture on the track. Should not make a difference otherwise except that they look cool.

Armored fuel hose required for the same reason.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
I've run braided stainless teflon lines on my custom cars for years, had them on the Midget for 10 years or so now without any problems. I highly recommend them as they are definitely a do it once and forget it sort of thing that never should need maintenace again. You can either get a set designed for your car with the correct ends already installed to mount directly in place of your stock rubber lines or use adaptor fittings and normal AN type fittings on the hose ends. I can't say that I've noticed any change in pedal feel, but that's usually seen on race cars where much higher line pressures are more common. Almost any good hydraulic shop can supply teflon hose with the stainless steel outer braid for brake lines. That's the only material that is suitable for brakes as far as I know. Rubber lines with overbraid are suitable for some other hydraulic applications as well as fuel and oil lines, just make sure the core material is compatable with the fluid you are using.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Stainless Brake lines main claim to fame is they "DO NOT SWELL" especially under hard use. for that reason alone makes them worth the expense.