• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Braided Stainless Steel Hydraulic Hoses

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Would a change to stainless steel braided hydraulic hoses result in any significant change in brake and clutch performance in our Healeys without the servo-assist?

Some of the available information on performance enhancements seems to make sense – braided SS hoses lose less pressure through expansion and essentially “push” more pressure to the actuate brake and clutch cylinders.

The hydraulics on my AH 3000 BJ-7 are in excellent shape and work well, but I would be inclined to make the change to braided SS if this is something other than cosmetic. What should we look for in a quality braided SS brake hose? At a minimum they should be expected to exceed that of the rubber hose specification, correct?

Some thoughts…thanks in advance. GONZO

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I would find it hard to believe a significant change.
Change perhaps but doubt a huge difference.

Quality braided hose will exceed the specs on regular hoses.

Bruce

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I installed the braided lines on my Midget last winter, but I didn't really notice a difference. It's not that the rubber would lose any pressure, it just means there might be more travel in the pedal to achieve the same pressure. Since the rubber hoses on mine were getting pretty old and the stainless ones came as a kit for not much more than the rubber ones, I went with that approach. The kit I got from Moss also came with the new copper washers too. Unless your rubber hoses are getting old, I guess you'll have to decide if the cost and labor of replacing them and bleeding the hydraulics is worth it. Like I said, I didn't really notice a difference in the feel of the brakes.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Gonzo,
Steel reinforced hydraulic hoses may expand less under pressure.

Since the actual pressure in a closed hydraulic system is the same at all locations, the pedal pressures required to achieve a given level of braking are the same whether the hoses expand or not. What DOES change is that slightly less MC/pedal movement may be required to achieve a given level of braking. Hoses that stretch/expand under pressure will give a slightly more springy feel to the pedal than will good steel braided hoses. By the same token, new standard hoses will be less springy than old hoses.

Racers like them because of slightly better pedal feel & less danger of abrasion damage. They also look more racy.

Braid reinforced hoses will not eliminate springing in the rest of the mechanical actuating systems which can be significant.

It is likely that the use of silicone fluids, which are more compressible, would negate any benefits to "pedal feel" that you would gain from use of braided hoses.

If you think that the benefits of braid reinforced hoses are worth the cost on your car by all means use them. Many - many cars get by perfectly well with non braided hoses.
D

dklawson

Yoda
The other advantage to (most) braided hoses is they have a Teflon liner in contact with the fluid. Over time traditional rubber hoses can swell on the inside closing off the line. A braided hose with the Teflon core will continue to give good performance for years and years without this "choking".

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Would a change to stainless steel braided hydraulic hoses result in any significant change in brake and clutch performance in our Healeys without the servo-assist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope,Gonzo.---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Have a look at the stock hoses and you can see that they are already nicely reinforced so you won't feel much change. Then look at some other cars' hoses (like my 1978 Fiesta). Not so much extra ribs and such on the hose. On those cars, stainless makes a difference. I did put a stainless hose on my clutch because I was having trouble and the clutch bleeding is such a pain.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Good description of the difference from Dave Russell.
On my 1965 Triumph I use Goodridge SS hose for the brakes and find a noticeable but not dramatic improvement in "feel", or the ability to modulate the pedal and tell how close the tyres are to locking. I would compare the improvement with taking the slop out of a mechanical linkage; it gives a more satisfying, direct, mechanical feel to driving the car, which is one of the reasons we enjoy these cars compared with modern rubbish, right? (NO offense intended!)
Since the clutch is easy to control accurately on my car, and less safety critical, I haven't bothered with that.

Simon.

OP
G

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for all the answers and explanations! Very information and much appreciated!

Currently there’s no urgent need to replace the brake/hydraulic hoses on my Healey…yet, but noted these very helpful and informative replies.

Why am I even thinking about improving the Healey? It runs, drives and looks great. At this point I’ll consider myself lucky if I could just get accustom to these new bifocal glasses! Car projects on hold for now, LASIK on the way!

Country flag
Hey, Gonzo, your in my field now. With lasik you will still need "reading" glasses. You will have trouble with anything close. Try contact first to see if you can deal with only seeing at distance. There are all kinds of bifocals too help with mechanical stuff. Even ones that have the close at the top and the bottom with distance in the center. Then you can work over your head too. Glasses are tools and tools are specific to a task like car tools.
I've seen your Healey and know why you always win prizes with it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TH!, There is a new process that uses RF after Lasik to reshape the Eyes Lens so that near vision is corrected negating the requirement for corrective lenses.The down side is, it may require repeat treatments as the individual ages.--From the Garage---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Gonzo! get rid of them BI-Focals and get a set of blended lenses.Try them first and hold off on Lasik-Why you think Tiger Woods Missed so many Birdies-What you say TH??

im the second and a half owner of my 1963 bj7,second and a half because the second guy only had it a few months,i was told the brake lines were all orig,upon removing them i found this to be accurate,i was astounded to see how well these rubber lines held up over the years and it gave me confidence to replace them with the same,as mentioned here braided ones look cool,but i dont think theres a need for them unless your goin racing for thier abration propertys, moss has the stainless ones for about $100.00 plus shipping so youd be paying about $35 + dollars each depending on shipping costs.thats a bit over double what the very good rubber ones cost.i wanted to buy them also but id been misinformed that they were for racing only and not d.o.t approved,not true,read moss add,they are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I just purchased a set of the Denis Welsh braided lines a month ago. Teflon lined. They were ₤32. A lot cheaper than Moss and cheaper than the ones sold on Ebay all the time.

gegw,how ya been?had i known that it would have put me over the top to get em!but as i mentioned i was misinformed as to thier d.o.t approvel sadly i might add.ive checked out d.w.'s sight,some neet stuff,thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif