• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stainless steel exhaust

sjgcpa

Country flag
I have been trying to get a Bell stainless steel exhaust system for months from Engle Imports in Kalamazoo Michigan. They are now telling me it is on backorder. Does anyone know of another source?

Thanks,

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Had mine custom made head to rear bumper, water cut the mating plate to the head,used my 30+ year old extractors as a template, only comment I have is I think they "boom" more than the standard system

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
FWIW , I installed both a Falcon System from Moss and a Bell System from Engle on two different early 3000's within six weeks of each other. I could not tell the difference in the two. Both system tailpipes were made incorrectly as compared to a 30+ year old NOS system we keep on file. Neither Moss or Engle has SS clamps either. Ames has the 1 3/4" front clamps but not the 1 1/2 rear clamps. You can't always get what you want.

Alan T

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
AlanT said:
FWIW , I installed both a Falcon System from Moss and a Bell System from Engle on two different early 3000's within six weeks of each other. I could not tell the difference in the two. Both system tailpipes were made incorrectly as compared to a 30+ year old NOS system we keep on file. Neither Moss or Engle has SS clamps either. Ames has the 1 3/4" front clamps but not the 1 1/2 rear clamps. You can't always get what you want.

Alan T

I can tell you one big difference - the FALCON system will discolor over time (after ~ 3000 miles or so) wheras the Bell will keep its finish like new.

In addition I think the Bell silencer is a bit better - it seems the material used is more substantial, it sounds nicer if you ask me.

I have the bell on my BN1 and the Falcon on my BJ8.

By the way AH Spares sells all mounting hardware for all the exhaust in SS. FYI use the 2" SS drain couplings from Home Depot to clamp the pipes to gether... the drain couplings will seal up the gaps much better than the OEM style british clamp.

62BT7

Country flag
healeynut: I'm up for an exhaust replacement this summer. When you say "drain couplings" at Home Depot, can you elaborate? I can envision asking a clerk at Home Depot for drain couplings and being told they have 10 varieties. Many thanks,
-Tom

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
"..the drain couplings will seal up the gaps much better than the OEM style british clamp."

Yes, "Healeynut" please explain further. Are you talking about the common ring clamps that you tighten with a screwdriver or nut driver? Or do they have the metal plate type that bolts together?

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Attached is a pic of a high quality "Mikalor" exhaust clamp. Considerably stronger than the kitchen sink variety. There are many similar looking clamps available but they do not clamp nearly as well.
D

Attachments

• 5529-Mikalorclamp.jpg
    5529-Mikalorclamp.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 274
Country flag
Dave is right (as always). Because the clamps are wide, they do not indent the stainless so you will be able to separate them in the future. They work great. I also used some exhaust cement from Moss so they seal better. These calmps are pricier than the Home Depot but they allow you a greater amount of tightening.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I just got to thinking. Mikalor clamps can be hard to find in the USA. I get mine from DWR. You can see them here:
https://www.bighealey.co.uk/section.php?id=8&page=3

Maybe someone knows a US source for Mikalor?
D
PS - I attached a pic of a "farm" supply clamp which looks similar but has no where the clamping power & strength of the Mikalor.

Attachments

• 5534-"Farm"clamp.jpg
    5534-"Farm"clamp.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 162

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
62BT7 said:
healeynut: I'm up for an exhaust replacement this summer. When you say "drain couplings" at Home Depot, can you elaborate? I can envision asking a clerk at Home Depot for drain couplings and being told they have 10 varieties. Many thanks,
-Tom

Go to Home Depot and buy the smallest size Stainless Steel flexible pipe coupling (with rubber insert... 1-1/2" or 2", I forgot what they have). Throw out the rubber insert and then fix the stainless steel part around the junction between the muffler and header pipe. Then put the OEM style British clamp over the outside of the coupling... with this set up it will never leak. The coupling looks like a short two inch long piece of SS pipe with two regular hose clamps around the outside. These are the drain couplings (in the plumbing section) that are used to hook up a sink with the pipe when the two don't screw together all that well.

Here's what it looks like:

https://www.v6z24.com/mods/howto/images/intake/coupleing.jpg

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave -

Those are excellent clamps. The Drain Couplings I use are a little better because the provide a complete coverage of the exhaust junction, and you can even put some hi temp silicone in there to really seal things up. They work great.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Dave,
Burns Stainless sells them. I bought all my u-bends from them when I made my exhaust system but no clamps. The smallest size they have on their website is 1 ¾”. Scroll down to the bottom of this page.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Greg,
The Burns T bolt clamp is the "farm" clamp that I referenced above. Look at the two pics closely. For whatever reason, the Mikalor clamp has far greater clamping power. It is NOT a T bolt. I have directly compared the two clamps. In fact I have a whole bag of the T bolt clamps that I will gladly donate to someone.

Alan,
As with any good clamped system, the inner & outer pipes must be a close fit. The inner pipe must extend beyond any slit in the outer pipe & the slit should be narrow. With this good overlapping fit there is no need for elaborate sealers or filler gunk. The advantage of a good band clamp is a strong joint that can be easily slipped apart if & when when you wish. As you know, a standard U bolt clamp makes it impossible to take a joint apart after it has indented the outer pipe.
D

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave Russell said:
Alan,
As with any good clamped system, the inner & outer pipes must be a close fit. The inner pipe must extend beyond any slit in the outer pipe & the slit should be narrow. With this good overlapping fit there is no need for elaborate sealers or filler gunk. The advantage of a good band clamp is a strong joint that can be easily slipped apart if & when when you wish. As you know, a standard U bolt clamp makes it impossible to take a joint apart after it has indented the outer pipe.
D

Oh I know, I hate those U bolt clamps... they suck!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Dave,
The DW picture was hard to see what the clamping mechanism was. I did a little digging and found the Mikalor site. One of their products is the Supra Clamp. I found this site ( Kifco ) in Illinois that sells that clamp. Hope this helps.

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Moss has the Mikalor 1 5/8 band clamp under part # 412-037 for about three bucks. I asked my sales weasel if they carried them and he told me no but when I order the alternative clamp listed for the early system I got the Mikalor clamp.

Alan T

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Some of you asked to see what the drain couplings from Home Depot look like. I had a spare so I took a coupla snaps of it. You can even see the part numbers so that should help you find it at Home Depot....

Attachments

• 5545-CIMG4705.JPG
    5545-CIMG4705.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 5546-CIMG4706.JPG
    5546-CIMG4706.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 588
  • 5547-CIMG4707.JPG
    5547-CIMG4707.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 576