• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Sealing fender to body 1960 TR3A

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Something I read just recently recommended using a seal when mounting the fender to the body. Can't remember where I saw it. Certainly easy enough to do at this point. Does it make sense to seal and what did anyone use.
Your thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tinkerman

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have seen tar type stuff on some inner fender walls were the two meet, but I do not use any. We get a lot rain here and the water just washes through to the ground any, besides the apron needs to come off for some repairs.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I found the reference to it. It is in the Standard factory manual. It talks about a "sealing bead strip between wing and apron". At this point I'm not sure tht I'm going to lose any sleep over it. I will call a couple of resources Monday and see what they have to say, but I'm going to move along.

Cheers, Tinkerman

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That sounds like the chrome (or stainless) bead to me, rather than actual sealant.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The bead welting used to be sold in 20' lengths for all 4 fenders on the early American cars and the Triumphs and Jags and Healeys. There was a chrome bead strip, but have not seen that in years. I bought a roll which came in black for a 120 and never used it. Came in black and had to be painted car color. I saw some on a TR3 last year, he had a pink mottled color on a red car, did not paint to match and did look sick. Never said anything to them as did not want the waves to start. To each his own. Got mine thru JC Whitney, have seen it in the catalog near the weatherstripping.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Forgot about that...the 2 and early 3 had soft plastic beading that would have actually sealed the gap. I still think that is what the manual is referencing.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

I agree with John. The "TR2" & very early "TR3" had the "Plastic Bead" but was painted body color. At some point (TS??); The beading was / is a flexible "Chrome Plastic". I believe "TRF" sells them as a kit; pre-cut & pre-bent. I bought the kit from either from "VB or TRF" (?) for my `57TR3 & It was pretty nice & packaged exceptionally well. I believe Moss sells the beading by the foot.

Regards, Russ

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
There is a thin layer of sealant between the fender and the inner apron where the bolts go. It looks like something that is put on with a caulk gun and flattens out when the fender is bolted down. I have seen it when taking off original fenders that have never been removed. I have never worried about putting it back and it did not change the position of the fender to not have it. I always assumed that is was to eleminate "chatter" between the two metal surfaces...as if the TR3 didn't have enough "chatter" already built in everywhere else. It might also have been a "rope" caulk that flattened out. Seems I've seen it listed in the catalogs..maybe Moss, in the body section, but not sure. I'll get the catalog out and see if it's there. It has nothing to do with the flexible or stainless finish bead.

Country flag
I've built several TR's, XKE's and Healeys, never used anything between the fender and tub. Just have good coat of paint inbetween so it doesn't rust.

Marv

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have seen water come up onto the front fender through the gap. Not a big problem unless you travel dirty roads and get muddy streaks down your front fender.
charley

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Checked the catalog. I guess I dreamed there was something in that catalog. Seems like there was a similar product around the perimeter of the transmission cover. I definitely remember scraping it off the inner fender apron and it was like caulking that had gotten brittle. It was on all three TR3's I've had. Again, I did not put anything back, just good coat of paint like Marv said.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Thanks for checking and the info. I shall barge ahead like I know what I'm doing. Heh
Dick

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Yep, Thats roughly what I thought it was, except it says non-hardening in the description...they might want to check it again after 50 years. I couldn't get the stuff, on mine, off with a chisle. At least I now know I wasn't seeing things....at least not about this.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Always comforting to get that kind of proof! Thanks all of you for your input. Gotta love the BCF.
Got my left front fender out of storage yesterday. It is really beautiful. Can't wait to get it installed. After 25 years of ownership (bought it as a basket case) it is great to see it coming together.

Dick