• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Request help with a [BJ7] interior measurement

Bock62

Am trying to cut to fit/install (BJ-7) quarter panels in my BJ7, which has a BJ-8 frame (w/corner box). I wish help with a (BJ7) interior measurement that tells me how high/tall the panel should be -- someting relative to the body at top would help.
Seems that Lt quarter panel is too high as top arm is contacting it when fully down. I have cut the panel to fit around the corner box & wonder if I must trim panel bottom at front & rear also.
Thanks....

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Bock,
I’m confused what you are calling the corner box. Are you referring to the one in the trunk for the leaf spring or the one that the radius arm (for BJ8) bolts in?

OP
B

Bock62

The radius box. I tried to send a pic showing the gtr panel and body area but unable.
Sadly, I think will have to trim the entire lower portion of the qtr panels. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Using a level, the aft panel top is ~2" above chrome at door post and fwd part ~3/4".

bock62, i suggest you remove the offending panel, and use it to make a template then trim the template till it fits the way you want it to, then cut the panel to that size, i also have a bj7. but like gregw. im not understanding the bit about the "box" thing. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

OP
B

Bock62

Your suggestion is right on /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif -- started w/cardboard template and then marked panel for around the the radius arm housing "box" to cut; but 'give' of cardboard must have masked other panel fit issues w/template.
BJ7's dont have the radius arm housing "box" in the door post area like my "BJ7 1/2".

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
There are two things that seem weird to me here. First is the radius arm box doesn’t touch the inner fender (which is what I’m assuming you’re calling the quarter panel). It is in the corner of the heel board and the wheel well. Second, there isn’t a cutout for the radius arm box except in the heel board that the arm projects through. There is a hole in the wheel well and the radius arm box that the arm is attached via a bolt.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The inner fender that I installed did need trimming at the front bottom. It hung down below the sill. Did your inner fender come with predrilled holes. If that’s the case, you may want to install the inner and outer fender to the shroud and move it around until your door gaps are aligned. The inner fenders I’ve seen are long in the front where they weld to the shut pillar which makes it difficult to correctly place the pillar since it caps the end of the fender parts.

P.S. If you want to send those pictures to me, I can post them here for everyone. Most likely, they are too large to be uploaded (there is a size limit). My email is in my profile (click my name in the left margin and select view profile). Alternatively, you could join a free photo site like photobucket and link your photos from there.

OP
B

Bock62

Greg
Now I understand your (and others)confusion. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Am new to Healey world -- they are interior 'vinyl' quarter panels. Like part of Moss 248-470.
Will send you the pics could not post.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Bock,
OK, now I’m on the same page with you. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif So you would probably need two measurements I’d guess. One from the top front edge of the seat panel straight down to the floor and one from the rear top of the panel down to the seat. I can measure my BJ8 panels if you think that would be helpful (my car’s rear body is in pieces). Also, I’ll be heading past you on Monday going from Santa Monica to Laguna. I can bring my panels by to see how they line up and base any useful measurements from there if you don’t get the info you need by then.

Here is Bock’s photo.
9927.jpg