• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Wedge Style Sidescreen ... Picture Request

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Starting to test fit my sidescreens and can't find an "assembled" picture in my various books. Does someone have a picture showing details of the screens and how the various parts fit together. Seems like it should be obvious, but I'm sure a picture or two would help. Specifically trying to sort out what goes on top of what during the assembly. Thanks, Mike

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Here are mine. If you want to "borrow" them over the winter, we can arrange something. Mine are just like what you need for your smallmouth TR3. My TR3A is a very early one with the wedge mounts in the chromed supports.

They are in the bag I bought from John Warfield at TRA to keep them clean. My sidescreens were rebuilt by Larry Learn when he did them for Roadster Factory back in 1989. They are still like new.

Notice that the lower part is like a flap and if the 4 snaps are not securing the bottom, you can stick your arm out and hold up the flat for more ventilation on a hot and humid rainy day. The later sidescreens for the Dzus attachments do not have this flap. On those, that lower part is rigid.

PS - Don't just put them in the bottom of your "boot" and then place your heavy steel tool box on them. They will never last.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Don. I'll have to take some pics of mine. They do not look the same as yours. I guess they are an aftermarket ... although they are brand new. I also have the original unrestored ones. Cheers, Mike

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Don Elliott said:
...PS - Don't just put them in the bottom of your "boot" and then place your heavy steel tool box on them. They will never last.

FWIW -- I place mine in the bottom of the boot and then put this board over them...

Boot%20Floor.JPG

I have a 1x4 that goes across the tank side of the boot to hold up that edge of the plywood sheet. Not ideal but better than having to unpack the side curtains everytime I need something from the boot.

Still, no heavy steel tool boxes allowed, but a few black canvas bags from Harbor Freight are okay.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here are a couple of pictures of what I have. As you can see, the side screens come with detachable arms. I still have my originals and may eventually tackle restoring those, but for now I'd like to get these aftermarket ones fitted. Cheers, Mike

SidescreenPieces.jpg

FrontMedium.jpg

Original.jpg

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Geo - I have all my tools in little coloured bags that kids used to use for their pencils (you remember pencils - a long time before everyone got computers).

I bought these bags over the years for a dollar each at Dollarama. They all have full length zippers on them. The dark blue one holds all my sockets and drives. The red bags are for electrical stuff. (Red = DANGER). The green one holds my open and closed-end spanners, The pale blue one has all my SU stuff in it. They are small - they don't take much space - hardly weigh anything and I can place them all along the inside of the rear fender curves beside my sidescreen bag plus the bag I store my folded top in. The inner rear fenders are padded with removable bits of shaggy carpet.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Mike - In 1989, I bought a tan top from Roadster Factory in tan or beige like the original top. Then I sent them the stripped sidescreen frames and they matched the same material for the sidescreens as for the top.

I believe they have a special on right now claiming that they can match the top colour. Check it out.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike if you are going to use the originals later make sure you mount the wedge brackets in line with the arms. The new ones look like they have adjustable arms the originals don't you would have to bend them. You don't want to remove the brackets later and have extra holes in the doors.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the input. Good idea to line up the brackets using the old screens. Yes, the new ones seem somewhat adjustable. Cheers, Mike