• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge BMW Recaro seats in a wedge

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I am parting out a 1982 BMW 320is in the driveway at the moment. On a whim, I took one of the ratty Recaro seats and stuffed it into a TR7 parts car. The results are nothing short of total awesomeness. The fit, the proportions, the style, is perfect. Looks far better than the stock seats. They are about the same width, but with taller side bolsters that angle out and follow the contour of the rockers and tranny tunnel. The seat bottom height and seating position are the same as the wedge seats. The back is just as thin and has nice side bolsters. It is 4 inches taller at the shoulder and the head rest is bigger, but it works. All in all, they look like they were designed for the car. Not like some of the other seats I've seen swapped into wedges and other LBCs, that look oversized and out of place. They also have cool front sections that slide out and extend the support area under your thighs. Now I guess I need to tear these down and get them to the upholstery shop to be recovered. Think I'll go with tan faux perforated leather and suede, and put them in the green convertible. I have been looking for nice Miata seats for that car, but these are a better fit.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Pictures, please!

Are the Recaros the stock seats in the 320?

OP
T

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
If you think pics of a ratty seat sitting in a ratty parts car will help. Here you go. You really need to see them in person to see how well they fit. The tan seat is stock. Other two are Recaro LS models. One in leather and one in cloth. They were standard with the sport option on the BMW 320. That option package gave you LSD, BBS mesh wheels, leather sport wheel, Recaro seats, air dam, and probably some other stuff. Later e30 models had a slightly different style. They were also supplied on some VW, Porsche, Ferrari, Toyota Supra, Renault, Audi, and some other cars as well. Google image Recaro LS and you can see tons of variations that were stock seats. The LS is the model that had the head rest and the extending leg support.

Attachments

• 22501.jpg
    22501.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 714

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a ratty cloth one in the MG. Driver's side.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just spent 1/2 hour going thru all the Recaro seats on eBay. Yikes, pages of them.
Any one sat in both the Miata and the Recaros to compare?

OP
T

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Sliders shouldn't be a big deal. The mounting points on the Recaros sit up inside the seat. I'll make pedestals and then mount onto stock wedge sliders. Used TR7 sliders for many a custom seat installs before. Height should be about spot on. In the pics you can see the seat part of the Recaros are actually a little lower than the stock seat. Thats because the stock seat still has the sliders mounted. My wife said she would have a crack at recovering them for me. She's made covers for the stock seats before, it's just time consuming. Need to find a place to order some Alcantara Ultra Suede and figure out how much I need. Picture these babies in tan or tan with black inserts sitting in this car.

Attachments

• 22518.jpg
    22518.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 593

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Todd, Mine is the darker Metalic Gtreen and I'm going to use green carpet with tan seats and just a little green on the bolsters or just the seat piping

OP
T

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Mine is Poseidon Green Metallic. I ended up using BMW Boston Green Metallic when I painted the car. It has a little more pop to it than the stock color. Also went with a BMW color on the wife's TR8. I felt the stock platinum had too much green in it and it clashed with the blue check interior, so I went with BMW Space Grey Metallic instead. It is a cross between silver and a light anthracite, but it tends to pick up whatever color it is next to. I really like it. Gives the car a more elegant look. Here is a pic of the car right after I painted it. I was getting ready to install the new top. Still could use a little more wet sanding on the clear coat and some polishing.

Attachments

• 22523.jpg
    22523.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 561

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nobody knows what color mine is. The painter was murdered after he decided to paint it differently than asked

Oops, not by the car owner
grin.gif

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well, found my seats for my Wedge
One problem, no tracks. Will have to figure something on that

DSCF6310.jpg

DSCF6311.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not yet. I'm ordering the carpet and when that shows I'll bring a piece to my Upholsterer and we'll figure out color schemes for the door cards and back panel and seats. When I pull the old seats from the Wedge I'll figure something out then.
Anybody know if there's the same slick fix for the Wedge tracks as is for the 6's tracks for the Miata conversion?