• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 GT6 evaluation request

petrops

Freshman Member
New member here. I am trying to regress to my youth when I owned a couple of GT6s. It has been a long time and I am sure that many of you know far more than I ever did.

I am looking at a 73 GT6 that has been tinkered with but looks structurally sound. There is a link to a set of pictures that shows a few things and I would love comments from the board. They include:
Starting rust (owner says paint is 5+ years old)
Coating on frame in some places looks like undercoating
Decals instead of badges
Seat, dash and upholstery modification
Paint is not original color and id marker is abused

Here's the link:
https://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/conundrum_/?action=view&current=801d15dd.pbw

The easy stuff like interior, paint and badges don't concern me but I would love some opinions on the condition of the frame and implications of the rust that is visible.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
I am looking forward to participating in the board.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
I'm in the midst of a frame off rebuild of a 70 gt6+ that is a California car with no rust other than some surface stuff that scrapes right off and the vehicle shown here looks to be in similar shape as far as rust goes. I'd want to know what's under the undercoating. Gators look to be in good shape, didn't see any inner rear wheel well shots so can't judge that, what outer rust was shown along roof lines looks pretty minor for a 35 year old car. frame looks pretty good to my eye. any rust under the seats or along sills?
Mike

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I didn't see many exterior shots in your link, but then I remembered seeing this on eBay, so I looked there as well.

Funny thing about the "decals instead of badges" -- they're "correct" decals, but they should be on badges!

For the most part, it doesn't look too bad, although I suspect it's possible a goodly amount of filler might have been used for "smoothing" out various surfaces. The underside looks decent enough in the important spots.

One thing that worries me a bit is the bubbling along the leading edge of the roof. This is a notorious rust spot on the MkIII GT6. The fact that the folded-over lip is seemingly intact leads me to believe that it might not be too bad...yet. Needless to say, though, this area can make for a tricky repair if new metal is needed.

Otherwise, the pictures in the auction listing aren't very good in terms of judging the outside of the body. It looks as if there might be the typical filler in the rocker panel area.

All and all, despite my personal affection for GT6s and the fact that they do seem to be appreciating (albeit slowly), I personally would have a hard time paying near the current bid ($2800 as I write this). But that's me.... ;-)

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Any pictures from before she was painted? Hard to tell what is under the paint. I had an MGB GT that ad similar issues and some of the same paint/rust issues and it wasn't pretty under there...

Those spots don't look <span style="font-weight: bold">that</span> bad, but I'd expect the worse. Any oil pressure and engine compression figures?

Welcome BTW...

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Frame looks ok but I don't see any pictures of the rest of the car as well. It may be worth seeing if someone on the forum is close by and can take a look at it for you.

jjw

Hi...

Saw that car on Ebay... from the way it is presented there, it looks like it *could* be a good "driver". Note the emphasis on "could"...

Comment... Have you gone to look at this car in person?... Ebay is a dangerous place. I can't count the number of times I've gone to see cars that looked wonderful in on-line ads that turned out to be complete disasters. I even once bought a car off Ebay sight-unseen, trusting the seller (we chatted on the same enthusiast forum, had a long phone conversation regarding the car) I later called that thing my tuition car... took me to school... and I'm not talking college.

If you can't go look at the car, find someone who can. You might find some help on this forum. As a GT6 is on my list of cars to own before I die, I've looked at many... and the vast majority have been basket cases (contrary to how they were described)...

It could be a great car, but until you see/touch/smell it, its a gamble whether its right for you.

Good luck...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All good comments as stated above. My only additional comment is that it appears that the upper and lower bushings are disintegrating. I would think replacing them with newer polyurethane might be on your "to-do" list.

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi,

I hate to be a naysayer, but if the paint is only 5 years old and there are already rust bubbles, it means that the paint job poorly done. You'll just get much more rust as time goes on. I know this from experience. It'll cost much more than the car is worth to get it taken care of.

Sorry but personally I'd pass on this one.

V

vagt6

Petrops, you probably already know this but . . .

By the seller's description I'd assume this car is not fully restored. I see potential rust on the roof rain channel (i.e., take out headliner; possible sheet metal replacement on curved metal - not easy, etc.) and other issues. And as we all painfully know, if there's substantial rust in one area, there's rust elsewhere. You can count on it.

Really, rust is your only real enemy on these cars. Virtually everything else is pretty easily fixed, including the engine and drivetrain.

Kinda like real estate: location, location, and location. With a Triumph it's: rust, rust, and rust (or the lack thereof :crazyeyes:).

So unless you're wealthy and don't careif you go way over budget, wait for one with <span style="text-decoration: underline">no</span> rust: it's worth the wait and it will be far more fun, and far less expensive. Even if you're a pro body guy and do all the rust abatement yourself, it's easy to get over your head in a rusty example.

Wait for one with no rust. It may take awhile (it took me more than a YEAR to find my current LBC with NO rust!).

You won't be sorry.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Personally, I don't think its that bad. Its clearly going to need a new paint job and all the prep that goes into getting to that point (which is 1/2 the fun). I would buy it. There is work to be done with any old car you buy, and if there isn't, then the price is too high. I wouldn't give more than $5000 for this. I'm sure some of you reading this are going "NO WAY!" but don't forget... their aren't very many GT6s left out there, and it gets rarer and rarer every day. If its in the condition states, in person, then go for it.

Check this out, I just found this... so maybe I would pay even more! '73 Triumph GT6 NADA pricing

V

vagt6

Looking at that NADA link, above, it's nice to know that a GT6 "factory hardtop" is worth $1,500!

I've owned three GT6s, all had "factory hardtops".

LOL. :lol:

OP
P

petrops

Freshman Member
Thanks Mike
No idea about the wheel wells but I will ask. I appreciate the feedback. I am 10 minutes from NH in Groton MA.

OP
P

petrops

Freshman Member
Thanks for the advice. I hear you with the rust issue. You can chase it forever. That's why they call it cancer. I just cannot believe that there is anything out there with no rust. But if I thought I could turn one up by waiting a year I would do it. Just don't know if my wife would divorce me along the way!

OP
P

petrops

Freshman Member
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think I will pass. Just too much uncertainty and no time to get a member of the forum to take a look. The trouble is, that I am going to do this one day and so I am really really glad that I found the forum and intend to use it ( and to contribute to it) a lot.

Thanks again.

Jack

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
vagt6 said:
Looking at that NADA link, above, it's nice to know that a GT6 "factory hardtop" is worth $1,500!

I've owned three GT6s, all had "factory hardtops".

LOL. :lol:

HAHA yeah I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that!

jjw

Not to worry... you'll find the car that's right for you... and you'll know it. BTW, I'm just down the road in Pepperell...

jjw

No problem... send me a PM whenever...

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior