• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Shocks

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I think I need to have the rear shocks redone. The car floats around in the rear and when I push down on the back of the car it bounces up and down several times... I guess Apple Hydraulics is the best.. Should I go for the heavy duty rebuild?? How about the links... They quote $10.00

Thanks for your input...

PeterK

Yoda
Apple HD. Stock links are fine as long as they're tight. If you have the money go for the adjustable armstrongs from RevingtonUK. Not sure what you'd gain other than adjustability.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Capt Roy

I suggest World wide Auto in Madison. Guarantees product for life and really rebuilds them.---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

PeterK

Yoda
Keoke said:
I suggest World wide Auto in Madison. Guarantees product for life and really rebuilds them.---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

Are you suggesting that Apple doesn't really rebuild them? What's the scoop?

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I havn't tried to fill the shocks... I'm going to get off work tomorrow, jack up the car and see what's going on...

What type of oil should I put in them..

T

Tinster

CaptRoy,

Pull off one of the shocks.

Print out the diagram in PeterK's post above.
For now, don't try to fine tune the shock.

Remover the filler threaded cap on top.
Remove the entire bottom assembly.

Put the shock in a shallow pan or plastic dish;
work the lever arm a few times to move the oil out.
Then allow the shock to drain overnight.

Go to a cycle shop and purchase a quart of fork oil.
Replace the bottom assembly and fill shock and work
the oil in by moving the lever many times.

If you get firm, solid resistance once the cap
is on, your shock is probably functional. If it feels
gritty or has jerky movements, it needs rebuilt or replaced.

d

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
PeterK said:
Keoke said:

Are you suggesting that Apple doesn't really rebuild them? What's the scoop?

Well Peter, maybe you should just acek around.---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
CaptRoy said:
I havn't tried to fill the shocks... I'm going to get off work tomorrow, jack up the car and see what's going on...

What type of oil should I put in them..

20-to-30 W Motorcycle fork oil.---Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

But if you truly want the arse end of that car to quit jumpin around you would install the tubular shock upgrade.

G

I went with the heavy duty rebuilds from Apple, been pretty satisfied so far and they were done 3 or 4 years ago. It was certainly a vast improvement over how they were prior to the rebuild, but some of that may have been due to the worn out springs I replaced at the same time. As good as a tube shock conversion? Most likely not even close, but IMO the best you can probably do with the levers. I'll probably switch to tube shocks when the opportunity (and money) presents itself.

PeterK

Yoda
Only asking because they did my 4A shocks a couple of years ago and all is well with them. I guess I'll ask around.

PeterK

Yoda
Just another note Roy,

The rear shackle bushings wear out pretty rapidly. Replacing the rubber bushings with poly is a popular option and better yet Joe Alexander's bronze option. Or still better yet, British Frame & Engines s.s. and nylatron rear spring locating kit will reduce rear end steering and keep you planted around the corners.

PK

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I did the Apple HD rebuild last year on my TR6, along with new springs and all new rear bushings and links. Car rides better than new!

G

Now that I think about it, i did have one issue with work I had done at Apple. When I rebuilt my carbs I sent them the bases so that they could install new bushings for the throttle shafts. When I got them back one of them was very tight, to the point that I had to use alot of force to get the butterfly to open and close. I called them and they were very apologetic. I sent that one back and they fixed it and got it back to me in a few days, and covered my shipping expense for the return. I thought the service was good so I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. In fact I've got an old spare brake MC laying around that needs to be sleeved, I was thinking of having them do it so that I have a working spare.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Does someone make a tube shock conversion for a TR3A. I have not seen one offered... Just for TR4A, 250 and 6...

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I have seen tube shock conversions for 3's and 4's from time to time on ebay. I can't think they would be much improvement over the levers. The suspension has very limited travel and with the internal friction of the multiple leaf springs, I don't see the advantage. I had the shocks on my 4 rebuilt by Apple a few years ago, they work fine, quick turn around also. My shocks had ovaled the shock bracket mounting hole over the years so used my mig to close it up a bit, drilled and ground flush. If you do that hold a thick copper plate on the backside to keep the weld off the back of mount. Use steel locking nuts and grade 8 bolts, tighten as much as you can.