• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear shocks

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
They suck. What do I have to do to fix 'em? Since dahubby has been having second thoughts about putting those tube conversions on (maybe he is listening to me!)

What sort of oil do we need? Just 'shock oil?' Also, anything we need to be careful of or keep in mind when we're doing it? (tonight's project)

Thanks!

BCruzn

Jedi Hopeful
Well, there ya go. You will spend about the same amount of money if you buy new valves for your dampers as opposed to the cost of the conversion. Personally I prefer the tube shocks for the reason of flexability. And they are very easy to install. I thought you had the say over Dahubby anyway. Doesn't he jnow it's a 60/40 relationship? (him being the 40).LOL JB

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
60/40??? Don't tell him that, he's thought it was 75/25 for 33 years!

We HAVE a set of Monroe rear tube shock conversions right in the garage. But, since I don't know all that much, he has been talking around to the guys in the club, some have gone back to the original from the tubes. Who knows? All I know is the ride is not what it should be.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi JB, Let talk about the lever type shocks. If they are still useable they can be refilled using Motorcycle fork oil.It is best to diconnect them and pump the arm while filling to expell air.If the shocks are good you should experience a consistent resistance as the arm is moved up and down and no evidence of leakage from around the shaft..---Keoke

Steve_S

Yoda
Armstrong lever shocks are tough units. They pretty much work or they don't. Fill them with oil and get the air out as mentioned above. If they don't leak then they are good to go. If they do leak, exchange them for a fresh set from Worldwide.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I have driven a couple of the tube conversion cars and never found any that handle as well as the original lever shocks. I got a couple of nice rebuilt ones for the front from WORLDWIDE and the rear ones I just cleaned up and topped off with mineral oil, as recommended. IMHO, the lever shocks give much better reponse under most normal circumstances.

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
That's what I tried to tell olwhatshisname.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
We're going to stick with the lever shocks for now.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif Naw JB, The secret in using the tube shocks is to get a good set of adjustable ones Levers will never provide the handling that good tube shocks can provide. But I would not put Monroe shocks on a baby buggie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif---Fwiw---Keoke.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone need a set of Monroe shocks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Modern tube shocks have the potential to handle better than a lever shock if the car was designed for them. The MGB suspension was not set up with the proper mounting and geometry for tube shocks. They do work, but they don't work as well as they are capable of because of the design of the car. Lever shocks do perform more than adequately and do everything a modern shock does with the exception of the progressive units.

Bawanadic

I have to agree that the tube shocks just don't ride as well as the lever shock does.
I had both but converted the tube back to lever ( the PO left the old ones in the trunk {boot}) and I replaced the valves with the heavy duty one that Vic Brit sells.
I do believe the geometry is varied when changing from levers to tubes. The car did not handle the twistys like the older lever one.
Just my observation.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Oh, the tube shocks will be just fine, if you don't mind a little tire skip when accelerating out of a hard turn with a mild bump in it...I prefer the lever shocks then, because they will keep the dampening effect on both wheels, with less body roll and a lot less chatter. Here in PA, this is common with our roads.

If you have a decent track, without the imperfections of our roads, the tube shocks will be beneficial in handling. However, recently, most of my driving has been on public roads, hence my preference for the lever shocks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Dahubby took Emma to 'guys night at the garage' last night to do the shocks. But Thumper was in the bay being worked on, so he didn't get to it. I want to do it tonight. I just need to buy motorcycle fork oil, right? And pump the arms as we fill them? Nothing else?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thats about it JB, Except do not turn them upside down after filling and prior to reinstallation.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
DO it early in the morning Steve, and you will be ok.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif