• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Rear axle tab washer question

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
After discovering that there was "zero" end float and some slight binding on my rear axles, I proceeded to pull the axles and add the necessary shims to get to the .004 to .006 spec. Since I believe the axle bearings are new, I'd like to be able to check the float on occasion in the future. That raises the question about the need for using the "tab washers" on the bolts that secure the axle flange to the bearing housing that are called for in the parts catalog. It was a real bear getting the old tab washers off. A couple of the tabs that were hard to get to had to be chiseled off. What about using some "new" lock washers on those bolts. Anyone see a safety issue with using lock washers in place of the tab washers?

Rick...

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I figure that there was a good reason that they used the bend over tabs to hold them on as lock washers were in use at the same period of time. My suggestion is that you don't go crazy in bending the tabs over and look to where it is accessable from to bend the tab so that you can "unbend" them.
Next once you have the proper end float there is really no need to keep going back and checking it again. Or at least you can just lift the wheel off of the ground and pull/ push on the tire sideways to feel that there is in fact some end float. My belief is that the only bad end float is zero or really sloopy.

One alternative that many folks are now using on internal engine bolts that use these tabs is to use red Lock Tite. For myself, I will continue to use the tabs.

Charley

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree with Charley. Now that you've got it set right, it isn't likely to need attention again. And of course you can check it without removing those bolts.

I find that a long, relatively thin cold chisel makes it easy to turn the tabs back. Of course it chews them up as well (sometimes they even shear off), but they are single-use items anyway. I've also tried Loctite (the oil-resistant variety), which seems to work OK but I worry about not getting the threads clean enough and losing a bolt later on. In a hard corner, you've got almost half the weight of the car hanging on those 6 little bolts (not just 1/4 as when going in a straight line).

OP
R

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
lock washers were in use at the same period of time. Charley

Charley...

Excellent point! I was wondering if the lock washers were an option then. With both you and Randall on the side of the tab washer, I see it as a no brainer to go with them. Since I just managed to get the old ones off without too much trouble, at least now I know how to beat them up if they have to come off again.

Along this same line, I made an interesting discovery today. When I was playing "swap the shims" yesterday I finally came up with the right combination to give me .004 to .005 on both sides. However, I was using only two bolts rather than all six on the flange to cinch them up while measuring the float. Today I decided to check it one more time with all six bolts. Hmmm... only about .002 then, if that. I could even feel the difference. I swapped out 1 1/64 shim (.016) for three .006 shims on both and that did the trick. Back to about .005 +/- on both sides with all six bolts snugged down. I couldn't find a torque spec for those bolts so I guess that's another reason to go with the tab washers. I'm not sure how one would get a torque wrench in there anyway. Thanks for the help.

Rick...

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
There are a couple ways that a bolt stays put. One is to tighten it so it is elastically stretched. The stretch keeps a load on the threads, and the resulting friction holds the bolt permanently in place. If you don't use enough torque to stretch the bolt, then you must use the second method, which is the tab lock.

I find a lot of the bolts on our Triumphs are not torqued that tight, so the tab washers are important.

On afresh, clean assembly locktite works well. I have varied luck with it on old, used assemblies.

OP
R

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
John...

The tab washers have been added to my "pending" order. I've gotten in the habit of holding off on my orders for a day or two because I always manage to discover something else that is needed an hour or two after placing an order. I'm sure I'm the only one that has that problem. :smile-new:

Rick...

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I hear ya, Rick..I don't care how long I wait, I'll emember something right after I place an order!

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Every time I order from TRF, Charles puts that item on sale the following week. But of course I do happen to be the national poster child for Murphy's law.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Every time I order from TRF, Charles puts that item on sale the following week. But of course I do happen to be the national poster child for Murphy's law.

And here I thought that it was my orders that he was using to determined his next weeks specials.
Charley