• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nigel's new threads: a winter tale.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
It all started because I wanted a more accurate temp gauge.

So I got one off of the 'Bay. When I went to install it, after pulling the steering column and half the gauges, I figured, "Well, I've gone this far, I may as well pull all the gauges and clean them up..."
I may as well pull the dash...
I may as well order a new dash cover...
I may as well sort out the wiring harness...
I may as well clean all the vinyl...
You know, I may never have everything apart like this again. I may as well order some Eastwood vinyl dye and brighten the interior...
I may as well put new carpet in to match the vinyl...

So here's what the end result of a new temp gauge is! <span style="font-style: italic">Everything</span>, from the dash to the horn button, the column surround to the shift gaiter, the seats to the doortops, has been re-dyed camel color. Autumn leaf looked too brown, biscuit too pale. I may have the only camel MG dash in the world. :banana:
The carpet is from the Home Depot, just a cheap outdoor carpeting, but the color matched well, and the diamond pattern added some nice visual interest. I sewed the whole thing myself, and it fits every curve like a glove. The <span style="font-style: italic">entire </span>thing is snapped in, even the rear shelf and wheelwells. No glue here: easy to take out and clean (or mop out).

int1.jpg

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

int4.jpg

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
Looks Nice! :thumbsup:

Well Done!! :bow:

-Bear- :cheers:

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Looks great! I want to do it now!
Did you use their "Plastic Prep" and/or "Sand Free" ?
Or did you just clean up the vinyl and spray on the paint?
Cheers,
Adrian

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lovely job that.

OP
bthompson

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
bigjones said:
Looks great! I want to do it now!
Did you use their "Plastic Prep" and/or "Sand Free" ?
Or did you just clean up the vinyl and spray on the paint?
Cheers,
Adrian
Hey, Adrian! :savewave: Here's my method. I just worked panel by panel, bit by bit, and did one or two a day. I started on the unseen bits to get a feel for the technique first. (Over the wheelwells, under the door, etc.) By the time I got to the dash, it was a piece o' cake. :thumbsup:
--Scrubbed the thirty-odd years of grunge off with dish soap and water, then rinsed and dried it.
--Went over it with PPG wax-and-grease remover, ('cuz I had some on hand) but any paint-prep stuff from walmart would do.
--Rinsed again and let it dry thoroughly.
--Shot it with SEM Vinyl Prep, and followed with SEM vinyl dye (both from Eastwood.) Followed the instructions on the cans; thin mist-coats, flash time, etc.

I was surprised how well the dye worked. It really seems to 'become one' with the vinyl, and the light color covers the black well, which was something I was concerned about. I didn't use Sand Free or Plastic Prep; it seems to be adhering fine with just the Vinyl Prep, even on the hard plastic surfaces. I'd have to check, but I think I did the whole thing with 1 can of Prep and about 6 cans of dye.

If you get the itch to color-change, I'd recommed it. Fun! SEM has a lot of colors, some of them not hideous. :wink: It's astounding how different a Midget feels with a colored dash. (Why should the Sprite guys have all the fun?) But stay away from Camel; that color's mine. :cooler:

Oh, the SEM cans say they're based in Charlotte! If they have a city counter, you could probably save some money over Eastwood's shipping. Wish I'd known that sooner...