• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Guy needs to know...

Bronson

Freshman Member
Hello, everybody. New guy here, just posted an intro over in the intro section. I have a couple questions. I just bought a 1980 Spitfire, in good drivable condition. I am leaving sunday to drive a 2000 mile round trip to trailer it back, on a flat bed trailer. What is the best method to tie the car down for the trip? Can anyone tell Me the overall width of a 1980 Spitfire in stock wheel/tire config? This is My first Spitfire, although I do own a 1971 Triumph 650 Tiger, and 17 other bikes..... Thanks!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! I thought that Bronson rode a Harley.

- Doug

OP
B

Bronson

Freshman Member
AngliaGT said:
Welcome! I thought that Bronson rode a Harley.

- Doug
Thank You!
You got it! The "real" Bronson was a very close friend, I just returned from His wake last month. I built a exact replica of that bike, it is in a Museum, now.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
1st, welcome!

2nd, this page from triumphspitfire.com should give you just about any spec's you'll need. Width is just a shade under five feet.

3rd, it's good to see there are a few folks who still remember <span style="font-style: italic">Then Came Bronson</span>, one of my favorite shows as a teenager for the one season it ran! Kinda like <span style="font-style: italic">Route 66</span>, another favorite of mine, less two wheels and one star!

4th, for tie-downs, overkill is better! :laugh: Seriously, if you can locate a couple of those wheel-straps for the tiedowns, they're probably ideal. Otherwise, four good ratchet straps, two for each end and criss-crossed, should be fine, as the later Spitfires had some rather stout tie-down/tow hooks on the chassis.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I just drove a '79 Spitfire on a trailer from Phoenix to Seattle. It was one of those U-haul vehicle trailers. Used the standard wheels straps and the safety chains. Had no problems towing other than fuel consumption because the weight of the trailer 4000lbs was over double that of the car being towed. :smile:

OP
B

Bronson

Freshman Member
Thanks for the welcome, and the info. I added that data sheet to My favorites. The incoming hurricanes may delay My trip to Miss. to pick up the car.
Andrew, always happy to find another TCB fan. Check out www.jimbronson.com, click on Birney. He was the REAL Jim Bronson. Also click on "Don's Bike" to see some of My projects.
I cant wait to go get My new-old car!

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Criss cross the straps: 2 in front and 2 in the rear. (I let a buddy borrow my trailer and he tied the car down on the sides of the trailer. Yes it rolled half way off the trailer) Check them after a few miles and then again every time you stop. After the car is strapped down, put it in gear and set the ebrake.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
First off, more about Bronson please. The "real" Bronson. I need to know more. The show was short lived. Then came . . .

Second, a U-Haul trailer with the front wheel straps would be good. You'll be surprised how close the front wheel spacing is to the fixed trailer ramps and frame. You'll be rubbing the inside of each tire, and you'll be afraid you'll drive into the middle space of the trailer. Be careful and you'll be fine.

Then you could use those wide bright colored nylon weave ratchet straps front and rear for extra protection. Just as a back up system. Strapping that rear axle isn't so easy and the strap might dangle--so be very careful to tie up the loose end so that it doesn't fly in the wind and end up causing damage by getting caught in your trailer wheels or elsewhere.

Picking up the trailer in your hometown, and returning it there is by far the cheapest rental rate (barring some other logistical issue).

Good luck and welcome.

OP
B

Bronson

Freshman Member
Thanks very much KVH! Re: The real Bronson. It is a very long story.....The show got Me into bikes when I was 14, I have since owned 160, or 70, or. I never knew the show was based on a real person, until 2008, or 9. I got to meet Birney Jarvis, and We became close friends. He later asked me to build Him a loose replica of the TV/movie bike , which I did. My own replica was featured in the Set/Oct issue of 2010 MOTORCYCLE CLASSICS magazine. Birney and His lovely wife, Joyce have been guests at My home several times, and We have traveled together and spent may nights discussing, sailing, politics, the miracles of beer, and of course, motorcycles. My friend passed at age 82, on this past June 4, and I miss Him. Check uOt www.jimbronson.com for all things Bronson. Click on Birney. Also, click on "DonsBike" to see some of My projects.
Birney was a founding memeber of the San Francisco chapter of the Hells Angels in the 50's. He was also an award winning Police Reporter for the SF Chronicle, an avid blue water sailor, a Master of Martial arts, a Golden Gloves boxer, 51wins, 1 draw, and 1 loss. He and His wife sailed an outrigger dugout canoe, from San Diego to Hawaii, in 38 days. You can read His book WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A DRUNKEN SAILOR. Birney renounced the outlaw club in the 50's and never looked back, and went on to live a life most men could never dream of. About 3 months ago, as He was losing His battle with leukemia, I got a knock at the door. It was the Fed Ex Man. I opened a box to find that Birney had made copies of His HA scrap book, and also His scrapbook of the making of the pilot of THEN CAME BRONSON.Birney was the Technical Director for the pilot. To say I was moved would be something of an understement.I was honored to deliver the Toast at His wake, last month. I kept it simple. "Home is the Sailor, home from the sea. And, the hunter, home from the hill. Vaya con Dios, Amigo". Sorry, I told You it was a long story, and that isnt even the beginning.
I have secured a wooden bed flat bed trailer to pick up the Spitfire, and new ratchet straps. Now, to win the lottery for the gas for the trip! Thanks again!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a trailer in Miss.?
That way the gas bill would be cheaper.
Thanks for the Bronson info - I go to the website
(Thencamebronson,or something like that)every once in
awhile.I like to hear the theme song,& see some of the
old shows.

- Doug

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don,

OK - that was the webiste from your link that
I was referring to.

- Doug

OP
B

Bronson

Freshman Member
AngliaGT said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a trailer in Miss.?
That way the gas bill would be cheaper.
Thanks for the Bronson info - I go to the website
(Thencamebronson,or something like that)every once in
awhile.I like to hear the theme song,& see some of the
old shows.

- Doug

The trailer rental, round trip from here, is only $150, from a local business that I know and trust. The car is in a very small town and I dont want to have to spend time there trying to find and rent one.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Nice choice in motorcycles there! (I have a 1972 Tiger.)

Scott

OP
B

Bronson

Freshman Member
HerronScott said:
Nice choice in motorcycles there! (I have a 1972 Tiger.)

Scott

Thanks, but which bike are You referring to?

Newbie question here, My car has a hard top that is in near perfect condition. I seriously doubt if I will ever use it. It is red. Would I be crazy to sell it? Any adeas as to it's value?

HerronScott

Darth Vader
That would be the 1971 Triumph 650 Tiger. :smile:

Scott

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Great story and Links, thanks.

About the trailer. Be sure to measure it before you leave. And be sure nothing on the Spit wheel track was changed. It is a tight fit.

I think the front track in 49".

OP
B

Bronson

Freshman Member
The car has a red hard top that is almost perfect. I dont think I will ever use it. Would it be crazy to sell it? Any suggestions as to it's value?

OP
B

Bronson

Freshman Member
CinneaghTR said:
I wouldn't sell it, especially if it were original to the car. It will get in your way, however, so it is your decision. My hardtop for my brother's '80 has been hanging from the rafters in Dear Old Dad's shed for over 20 years...

Thanks, I will keep it, as it is original to the car. I will make room for it.