• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Guy Recovers Stolen Healey - 40 Yrs Later!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
2ziq4k3.jpg

36cjt.jpg

2irnipz.jpg

SOUTHLAKE -- The saying "Timing is everything" has a new meaning for Bob Russell.

During a sleepless night last month, Russell hopped out of bed, fired up the computer and began surfing the Internet.

Browsing eBay that night led to the eventual recovery of his 1967 Austin Healey, a European sports car that was more than 40 years ago.

"I used to always look at Austin Healeys parked on the side of the road," Russell said. "Every once in a while, I'd search the Internet. I knew finding it would be impossible."

During his May 11 search, Russell said, he could not believe it when he saw his car listed for auction. He said he knew it was his because he had memorized the vehicle identification number.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/2012/06/23/4054265/lost-and-found.html#storylink=cpy

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Great story, thanks for sharing it Rick.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow, yes great story. Reminds me...When I was in college in Providence, RI in the early 70's, a fellow student had her beautiful red BJ8 stolen. The car was a gift from her father. She was so heart broken about it. As far as I know it was never recovered.

Bob16

Freshman Member
This is actually about me. My name is Bob Russell and I live in Southlake, TX and I'm the guy in the picture. I bought the originally from a friend who purchased the car in Augusta, GA in 1968. Does anyone know of the Austin Healey new car dealer in Augusta, GA in the 1960s?

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bob16 said:
This is actually about me. My name is Bob Russell and I live in Southlake, TX and I'm the guy in the picture. I bought the originally from a friend who purchased the car in Augusta, GA in 1968. Does anyone know of the Austin Healey new car dealer in Augusta, GA in the 1960s?

Bob,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the "Feel Good Story of the Year"! IIRC some of the original sales literature included a list of dealers. If no one else chimes in, try this link of Healey related articles from the Augusta Chronicle. Looks like there's some ads for the local dealers there, but you'll have to pay $10 to see the entire article: https://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Arch...&p_topdoc=1

Best of luck with your search and hope you stick around. :cheers:

popsdaimler

Freshman Member
I'm still looking for my 1952 Harley panhead stolen from Daytona in early 70's.Back in the day when we chopped perfectly good motorcycles.I still check vin numbers at the rallys 52el7691

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So let me get this straight, some guy steals this car, never fixes the damage the theft caused, drives it 9000 miles in 40 years, and somehow keeps it licensed and sells it to a dealer without a title? Please tell me that the dealer was able to somehow get their money back!

Country flag
I called about an Ad on Craigslist for 65 A/H3000 for sale in Memphis,Tn on Wednesday this week. I asked for some pictures. Owner said no problem and would get them later that day. I called back about 7 pm and the owner said the car was gone. I thought he meant he sold it, No somebody stole the car. So if anyone around Memphis hears of a disassembled A/H 3000 for sale please contact the local Police or me, I'll contact the owner.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Marvin Gruber said:
I called about an Ad on Craigslist for 65 A/H3000 for sale in Memphis,Tn on Wednesday this week. I asked for some pictures. Owner said no problem and would get them later that day. I called back about 7 pm and the owner said the car was gone. I thought he meant he sold it, No somebody stole the car. So if anyone around Memphis hears of a disassembled A/H 3000 for sale please contact the local Police or me, I'll contact the owner.
Did you get the vin number for it? If the seller will give it to you it would be good to post it on the BCF. Also post the photos.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Congrats Bob:

Have told this story to all my non-healey friends....they loved it..

by the way ..did you buy any lottery tickets after that???

Pete

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Bob16 said:
This is actually about me.

Hey Bob,

Good article in the Dallas Morning News. I'll save my copy for ya' if you don't have enough.

Why not come to NTAHC Tech Session at Pat's on the 14th and let us meet you and shake your hand.

Also, free coffee & donuts. See Upcoming Events on the website (www.ntahc.org) for details and a map.

Tim

Sparkie93

Country flag

Bob,

I grew up in Augusta. The dealer was Augusta Imports on Gordon Highway. My dad bought one of my Healeys in 1975 and the other a year or two later. I have recently found out one of my cars was originally delivered to Philadelphia (thanks Steve!). Not sure about the other, but do know it was worked on at Augusta Imports. I vaguely remember the dealer, but Carl Sassers Toyota was next to it or Augusta Imports later became it. My parents' 1975 Corolla was purchased new there.

Congratulations on getting your car back. I'm still searching for my 1966 Mustang GT coupe stolen in Atlanta in 1984.

Robert

PS - I realize this thread is a bit old, but I just stumbled across it surfing the web.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Bob, I do remember reading your story when it was first in the news. What a feeling that must have been to slide behind the wheel of your long lost BJ8 again, it really had to be a very emotional moment for you as all the past and present memories came to mind. Just out of curiosity, what sort of mechanical and cosmetic repairs are you planning to do to the car? In any case, congrats on getting your Healey back!