• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is This Guy Crazy or Not ???

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
$8,000 bid, (or so they say), and it hasn't even met the reserve yet! And who knows what that would be?
Would you pay $8,000 bucks for this rust bucket?

healey1.jpg

baa3_12.jpg

c33a_12.jpg

BMcOHWkKGrHgoH-CgEjlLl5ZdBJkdzml3g_.jpg

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
The seller is not crazy, now the buyers????? Regardless, a complete restorable BN2 is very hard to come by. There is an older restored BN1 on Ebay right now with a starting price of $18,500 that would be a much better deal comparatively, depending upon where the bidding goes. Desireable, restorable cars usually bring more than they are truly worth given the potential restoration costs.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
stevebn2bj7 said:
The seller is not crazy, now the buyers????? Regardless, a complete restorable BN2 is very hard to come by. There is an older restored BN1 on Ebay right now with a starting price of $18,500 that would be a much better deal comparatively, depending upon where the bidding goes. Desireable, restorable cars usually bring more than they are truly worth given the potential restoration costs.

I do realize that $18,500 would not be a bad price for a BN1 that needs total restoration, but this car, the one I mentioned, and I'm only guessing, would need $20,000 worth of sheet metal work just to get it prepared for the rest of the restoration process. What's this car going to be worth after it's all professionally redone? I look at it this way, "There IS a difference between love and money!" JMHO
confused0031.gif

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
I do not disagreee. It's always been known that the best way to get a $50,000 car is to put $100,000 into it. My BN2 is currently in a condition that is not too much better than this but it runs and drives very well. Did not pay too much less than this a number of years ago. To each his own. It is a late BN2, doglegs, sills, rockers shut pillars and a floor or two all need replacement, standard stuff in a full resto. However, I do all the metal work myself so I do have a cost advantage. That $18,500 car was already restored, so my point was that it was a much better deal seeing that it is ready to go. We'll see where the bidding goes.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
stevebn2bj7 said:
I do not disagreee. It's always been known that the best way to get a $50,000 car is to put $100,000 into it. My BN2 is currently in a condition that is not too much better than this but it runs and drives very well. Did not pay too much less than this a number of years ago. To each his own. It is a late BN2, doglegs, sills, rockers shut pillars and a floor or two all need replacement, standard stuff in a full resto. However, I do all the metal work myself so I do have a cost advantage. That $18,500 car was already restored, so my point was that it was a much better deal seeing that it is ready to go. We'll see where the bidding goes.

I agree that it'll be interesting to see just how far the bidding goes. You never know.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
About 8 years ago I was going to pay $4000. for a 100-6 in about the same condition. Let's see, what's the inflation rate been. Call me crazy but if all or most of the components are there, would you rather save a 100 or just bury it so it could return to the soil it started from. Granted high end shops would charge a fortune to restore this piece, but little ameturs like me would would probably work for just about nothing to keep it from being lost to the ages. And even high enders have Barrett/Jackson to recoup most of their money.

Sparkie93

Country flag
I'm going to visit this guy tomorrow morning - he sounded French, but not necessarily crazy! I'm going for parts, not the car. I wouldn't be interested, nor do I have the skills, in tackling a restoration project requiring this much metalwork. I'm happy to see that someone has the desire (presumably) to restore it.

Robert

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I do recall someone paying $5,000 for just the section of tubing with the number plate attached on an AC cobra. However, I don't think AH BN models are all that rare, I'd wait for a better car and pay more. After all, you're going to be paying it one way or the other so why not save the labor?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I think E-bay has driven up the prices on cars like this, I agree, they are not super rare, but they are hard to come by and more people want them than have them. What do you suppose this car would get if you tried to sell it at the local club or in the local paper, or even Hemmings. I am thinking much less, but as stated scarcity, people want them, they get a lot of exposure they get bid up.

Rationally I agree would make more sense to buy a better car, but reality is sometimes people want a particular type of car and budget or significant other limit what you can spend on it NOW (I have been in that boat many times), so you get it and take care of the other stuff as resources become available

Maccers

Freshman Member
Hi Paul,

It is worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it. I don't consider US$ 10,000 too much for this car, but then again, I am not buying.

Where else can you buy such a car?

Mac

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I am from the Triumph section but I looked at getting a 100-4 last year frome NY in a old ladys garage and thru research isnt a 100 S (sebring) body made from aluminum if so this one cant be a 100-S

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Maccers said:
Hi Paul,

It is worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it. I don't consider US$ 10,000 too much for this car, but then again, I am not buying.

Where else can you buy such a car?

Mac

Well, I agree with you Mac on the theory that the car is worth what anyone would be willing to pay for it. Some people are a glutton for punishment and some not. I've seen other photos of the car and it requires a lot of large panel replacements. Otherwise it would be just a patched up mess. I would rather pay a lot more for a car that does not require a total re manufacturing of the body and possibly the frame. But, then again, to each his own.
happy0034-1.gif
Would make a good parts car though, especially for the drive train, (if the engine isn't seized up).