• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need advice, Should I Wrap the Exhaust Pipes?

hmsevans

Freshman Member
Since I have removed my Exhaust pipes,I was thinking of wraping them with off the shelf High Temp Wrap to reduce the foot well heat
Does anybody have any advice and reccomendations on what type?
Also need to replace my Heat shields in the same area,What a good source from replacements?
Mark
Thanks again for all the Great advice.

hmsevans, i bought a full set from moss and its a good one, other outfits also sell them, im planning on making up additional section out of 1/4" "wonder board" in the area where my headers run under the foot well, sorry i have no experience with any type of "heat wrap", im sure others can help.

Country flag
I do not recommend wrapping your exhaust (assuming tubular headers) with an insulating wrap. A thermal barrier coating, applied inside and outside is a much better solution, and the headers will last A LOT longer.

The wrap may show immediate benefits, but it will soak up water (leading to rust) and will also fatigue the metal by subjecting it to intense heat that it cannot dissapate. Your wrapped pipes will live a much shorter life.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I strongly agree with Randy. I used a header wrap once and ruined a nice set of headers in less than 6 months. When a weld broke I un-wrapped the header and it was a mess, the heat had been so intense it had blistered the mild steel tubing - litterally, large flakes of metal had come off and in places it was tissue paper thin, no strength left. These were Denis Welch mild steel tubular headers - maybe different grades of steel or stainless will take the heat better but without reassurances from the manufacturer, I will not do that again - it was an expensive lesson.

I haven't tried any coatings but from what I have read, it sounds like a good way to go.

Dave Phillips

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I used JetHot on my Seven headers. I don't have scientific proof but it sure feels cooler in the footwell. Still warm but not as warm.

Looks nice too.

Bruce

Country flag
Well, I confess to having wrapped my BJ8's stock downpipes. I got the wrap from J.C. Whitney, along with a high-temp silicone coating that seems to work pretty good. The stuff definitely contains the heat, as the exhaust at the tips is now pistol hot. The under hood temps seem to be lower as well.

I just checked the pipes, the wrap is in good shape and the pipes look and sound solid. Let me say I consider this exhaust system expendable, as it's the remnants of an Ansa with some glasspacks grafted where the Ansa boxes used to be, and I intend to replace it in a year or so. I have about 5K miles on 'Frankenmuffler.'

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello hmsevans,The wrap on your pipes is not a good idea as everyone here has said. I had the downpipes on my BN7 done with a thermal barrier coating over 10 years ago and they still look good and it is somewhat cooler in the engine bay. Or should I say, not as hot sounds right. The coating does cost a lot more but in the long term I feel it does pay off. I started off with new stainless steel pipes also.

Best Regards,

bundyrum.

OP
H

hmsevans

Freshman Member
Thanks to all for the feedback,I need to stop over thinking the Job and start driving for fun
Thier will be no Wrap on my Pipes
This is site is priceless