• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pulled the Trigger...Now I Need Advice!

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen:

I purchased the 1967 Sprite/trailer combo that was on Ebay recently. My son is buying the trailer for $700, so I'm on the hook for the remainder of the cost.

My intentions on this car are to pull the 1275, the disc brake set up, and the sway bar to put on my 1960 BE. I was wondering, what else should I consider taking off this car? Also, are there instruction/directions on how to begin swapping out the brakes suspension from the '67 to the BE? Also, what about the differential? Any improvements if I switch these?

I will be parting out the what remains of the vehicle when I'm finished in order to offset my investment in the '67. If you are in need of something, PM me with your requests. Finally, I will likely be selling the 1098 (that was put on at some point in the past) off my BE, which happens to be in very, very good working order.

Mike Pennell

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mike - let's talk...if I can use most everything else to make a 1966 Midget (once I find a VIN), I might be interested...I'd be using a 10CC 1098 engine so that might also be of interest....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, Trevor, that's not a '63 Midget dash or grille...think its an Austin Healy - same as the one Mike bought.

Thanks though

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OKAY - everytime I try to email somebody on craigslist, its always returned as undeliverable...what am I doing wrong?

RickB

Yoda
Tony, does the address you are sending to look like this:

sale-909621315@craigslist.org

That's the general format. If you are leaving something out then it won't work and you will get that kind of error.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's the address

terriphill

Darth Vader
I can never click on the address when dealing with craigs list. I highlight the address, copy it, open my e-mail, click new mail message and paste the craigs list address into the to line. THis seems to work about 80% of the time.

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tony:

I'll let you know how things progress. We can keep open a steady line of communication. I already have interest in the tub.

My 1098's a good engine, so I'll be posting pics in the future.

Mike Pennell

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
terriphill said:
I can never click on the address when dealing with craigs list. I highlight the address, copy it, open my e-mail, click new mail message and paste the craigs list address into the to line. THis seems to work about 80% of the time.
That's what I did....there's the answer: Unknown user: sale-907390597@craigslist.org

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, I've talked with him - it might just be the Midget I've been looking for.

Country flag
Well Tony, what type of car is it (what is the VIN)? I was guessing it was a '67 Midget with bits from a Sprite.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm still waiting for an email with the VIN & extra photos....its got MG on the dash & trunk lid but an AH grille...at one time had the long piece of chrome on the hood that AHs didn't.....I'm guessing '65 thru '67.

Its the MkII I've been looking for - maybe!

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
mxp01 said:
I was wondering, what else should I consider taking off this car?
For the BE, the gearbox if you still have the smooth case. The 3,9 diff is really nice with the 1275.
Electric tach.
Later rear brakes are nice but I've heard the parking brake system from the BE doesn't work, so you have to have the parking brake cables too.
Isn't the double gauge the same. It's always nice to have a spare.
Does it have the cross flow radiator? If so it's a good conversion.
The steering rack would be good to have.
Head light buckets are the same, though if not rusted.
Many people (like me too) change over to the later style master cylinders.

Easiest to swap out the entire front suspension since you have it. Everything from the A-arms to the shocks. I would even take the brake hoses if they are any good. (but I'm cheap) I think only the spindles are really different, but I'm probably wrong on that point.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Trevor Jessie said:
Well Tony, what type of car is it (what is the VIN)? I was guessing it was a '67 Midget with bits from a Sprite.
We were both wrong, Trevor...VIN is GAN3L28109...makes it a MkII built between Mar '64 & Mar '65...I'm guessing closer to Mar '64.

Additional photos he sent me show a real solid car with the most rust on the edgers of the bonnet....all the top stuff is in the trunk as is the tonneau & a correct spare....its the elusive MkII I've been looking for: solid, not chopped up, easy restoration.

I bought it as a 1964 MkII Midget!

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Officially it'd be a '65 model year car though right? Built in '64 perhaps but an MKII, therefore not a '64. The 64's would be just like your '63.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
mxp01 said:
I was wondering, what else should I consider taking off this car?

I did something similar recently, pulling the bits off a '74 Midget for my Bugeye.

https://www.drooartz.com/index.php?page=36

Donn covered it nicely in his post. I took pretty much the entire drivetrain: engine, transmission, driveshaft, rear diff. Also took the front suspension (the rack on the '74 was the later style, but your earlier one should fit the Bugeye so I'd take that too). I took the entire parking brake assembly from the lever in the cabin right to the drum plates. I'm currently working on getting that all to work in the Bugeye. The later brake rods can be made to work (I think) with just a bit of finessing.

Quite a bit on the '67 will fit your Bugeye, so if you've got space, strip it out. Good luck!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
jvandyke said:
Officially it'd be a '65 model year car though right? Built in '64 perhaps but an MKII, therefore not a '64. The 64's would be just like your '63.
Well, that's what I thought but <span style="text-decoration: underline">Original Sprite & Midget</span> says, <span style="font-style: italic">"BMC and Healey addressed this in March 1964 with the Sprite MkIII (HAN8) and Midget MkII (GAN3)."</span> And in the listing of the various iterations of the car, they say, <span style="font-style: italic">"Sprite MkIII and Midget MkII (1964-1966)"</span>.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">MG Sports Cars</span> says, <span style="font-style: italic">"True modernity came to Midgetdom in 1964 with the Midget Mark II (GAN3)."</span>

So, did the Midget change from MkI to MkII mid-year?

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Drew & Donn:

Thanks for the input. I'll be posting regularly to try to better understand the differences in the 1098/1275 to BE set up. I've noticed immediately there is a difference in radiators. The BE has the original radiator. Is it simply a matter of hooking up the water hoses or is therre more?

Anyway, I got the car home today. It does have rust in the floor boards, but they are still in place. There is also rust in some of the usual locations, but based on the overall condition, the tub is very restorable.

Finally, the VIN is HAN 9U / 76411. The carbs are intact. It has dual wipers.

Mike Pennell

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike

I'm still interested in the tub. Photos when you get a chance.