• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Issue with removing front drums and spindles on BE- Need advice

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Working on my BE to disassempble the front end in preparation for conversion to Disc Brakes.

Got the ball joint loose and disconnected. Kingpin nut is off, Wishbone has as much pressure as I can apply and still keep it on the jackstand. Bolt that goes through the Trunnion Pin will move back and forth but will not come out. Metal jacket on the bushing for the trunnion could be rusted to the trunnion bolt I guess is the most likely thing.. I've twisted with a 13/16" socket and it turns and all of the rubber that is visible has fallen off. Trunion bolt freely turns with socket on it. So what's next? Do I need to add some helper bolts on there and disconnect the spring to take pressure off or take the cutting wheel and cut the trunion bolt off. Bolt seems stuck in the shock in spite of no locking bolt in the shock arm and a screwdriver wedging the end of the shock arm apart. But I do think more likely t could be that metal jacket on the bushing is keeping everything from moving apart. Ready to get out the cutting disc but don't want a violent coming apart with car on jack stands. I will be removing all and replacing with Disk assembly off of a '71.

Advice Gentlemen?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
First thing is to remove the spring with either long bolt method or jack method (engine in car). After that whatever is rusted together gets a sawzall or angle grinder...I save nothing but the spindles (ebay). Since your car still has drum brakes nothing will be of any use to you...just cut it out and order everything from PeterC.
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I've got everything already Rut. Ok in looking at things again the metal piece of the bushing is definitely fused to the trunnion bolt. I will use long bolt method to remove the spring and then cut the trunnion bolt with Angle grinder and cutting wheel to get it apart. Once the pressure is off the spring and I cut the bolt the rest can be cut apart as needed. Thanks.

nomad

Yoda
Jim, very little work with a hack saw at the base of the flange washer end will let it come out. That is how I have done it a couple of times. All that is necessary is to cut through the sheet metal and turn it.

Kurt.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I'll try that as well tomorrow. It is the washer holding this up.

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The lower fulcrum pin has a notch in it and retaining pin that had to be removed to get it out. That caused me some problems because I didn't see it under the grime.
I can't remember on the trunnion bolt (upper fulcrum pin), but that also goes through the lever shock arm with a pinch bolt. If you haven't removed the pinch bolt all the way, it may have a notched shoulder too. If so you need to remove the pinch bolt completely from the lever arm, not just loosen it. Just a thought.

Fred