• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A I'm making my own door panels and ....

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just to save a few bucks for now I'm recovering my original interior panels. Viewing many options out there I've noticed that after TS60000 that the door edges are rounded and the available panels are rounded to match. If I round mine am I going to see the white paint inside the door jam because I'm putting a round edge into a square hole? Hope this makes since!

Attachments

• tr3dooropening.jpg
    tr3dooropening.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 113

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The square panel will not look right on a post 60k door...is that what you are asking? Why not just cut some fresh fiberboard to fit right...?

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I'm a little confused by your question. If you are "recovering the original door panels" wouldn't they fit the doors like the original door panels? If you have door panels that are not correct for your doors, you could make a template by tracing the contour of the door onto paper and then cutting the hardboard to match the template, allowing for clearance. The other difference is the opening near the center for access to the pull cord. I believe there is more than one shape to the cut out. But other than that there would not be much fabricating as they are basically just hardboard covered in vinyl. Mine had some beautiful 1970's plywood paneling door panels when I got it.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
These are the panels I got when I originally restored the car in the late 70s. (They may not have been correct) The driver door panel is a little beat up on the corner and that is getting a new board. My concern is that there is going to be a gap in the corner now that it is rounded and will I see the white paint in the door jams. I'm asking first before I remove any material and don't want any surprises.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Not sure if I'm helping. Your photo shows a door with the rounded corners and appears to show a square corner trim panel laying on it. With the rounded door the trim panel should match the rounded corner of the door. I see the screw holes in the door frame, in your photo. Those screws would be only slightly inside the edge of the finished trim panel and the trim panel should lay just at the edge of the inside surface of the door and match the contour. With trim installed on the door, you would see almost none of the inside painted surface of the door. With the door closed, you would be able to very slightly see the hinge pillar at the front of the door, because the door opening is square and the door is rounded, which creates a small "triangle", but it's not large enough to really matter and is the way it was made originally. A square trim panel would fill the gap but would hang over the rounded edge of the door. Tried to get you a photo but couldn't get it to download from my camera. Hopefully the explanation helps.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yep...I'm totally lost. But it appears it is the wrong trim panel for the door.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
square door.jpground door.jpgtan is square...black is rounded. I found photos on line. Looking at the bottom edge of the trim panel. Also not the different shapes of the opening in the center. Later is kidney shaped.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok the pics helped. Mine is like the red one. I'll round off the corners on my panels to match the radius of the door.