• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Making my winter maintenance checklist

G

Now that the driving season is pretty much over, I have begun to make a winter checklist of repairs and maintenance. Mostly repairs and when I am down, major maintenance as well.

Firstly, I have talked about the new rear main oil seal, ring gear, clutch and floorboard replacement. But there are other things that need to be done to keep the car safe and trouble free.

I plan on checking all suspension components thoroughly, including the brakes and bearings. I will change all brake fluid for fresh, lube all the u-joints, check the rear hub bolts (DPO had JBWelded them in place, now Helicoiled), check fluid level in differential, check for cracks in frame, etc.
This is a good time to go over the whole electrical system and make sure the grounds and connectors are all clean and snug.

Good time to repair all paint rock chips.

Reapply some fresh Waxoyl when needed.
The list goes on.

What do you all do when up for the winter? I hope you do more than just park it and remove the battery (You do remove the battery, don't you?)

Twosheds

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
What do you all do when up for the winter? I hope you do more than just park it and remove the battery (You do remove the battery, don't you?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you asked...

Here's a reply I made to another Triumph list:

Seems like every fall the articles appear: How to Prepare Your TR for Winter Storage, Blah, Blah. Then in the spring: How to Prepare Your TR for Spring after Winter Storage, Blah, Blah, Blah.

Not that I do it right, but here's what I do:

Winter:
Put car in shed. Turn off engine. Open bonnet, glove box and boot. Mice like to build their nests in an enclosed area, seems. I don't see the point in disconnecting the battery; it's an open circuit when the ignition is off.
Unless you have a clock or something. Go into house and drink Gin & Tonic.

Spring:
Charge battery. Batteries will self-discharge at a rate of about one point of specific gravity per day, and more if the battery top is dirty. Check fluid levels. Probably not necessary but gives you something to do while the battery charges. Clean out mouse nests, if required. Pump priming lever on fuel pump. Shot of starting fluid and... Vroom! Off you go.

R6MGS

Yoda
I am with twosheds....Little sitting ain't gunna hurt a thing. I pull the batteries, but not much else. I keep the trunk and hoods popped, and the cars covered to keep the dust off.

R6MGS

Yoda
Well actually I am driving my 6 this winter too....but only because I don't have room to store it, so it's sitting in the driveway. So I might as well use it.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I plan on driving my TR (top up!) from time to time over the winter... so the only thing I plan on doing in between driving it, is to keep the gas tank full!

[/ QUOTE ]Well, top's always up on the Herald sedan. But salt's always down on the roads all winter around here, so I won't be driving it. But I will most definitely keep the gas tank full this winter.

I learned my lesson this past spring and early summer. After getting the new clutch in, I spent untold amounts of time getting all the sediment out of the fuel system after the tank sat almost empty all winter. I do NOT want to go through that all again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
Yup, the salt is going down as we speak....But I'll take the TR out on the dry days(I know, the salts still there - but what the heck), Not that I am gunna get much pleasure out of freezing my arse off while it warms up. But I can't let it sit outside all winter without being run.

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Bill,

If you need some help I would be ready to come over for a weekend or two... I know where you live! Can I bring my boat?

OP
G

Thanks Roy but I will have my 3 sons in for the Christmas holiday.

Hey, ole Gary Martin sure does a fine job on those carbs, eh?
When you gonna post some pics of his work?

Folks, when Roy came by my house a few months ago and saw what my triple ZS carbs looked like that Gary had redone to concours quality, I think it sold him. I know there are other carb shops out there but none better than Gary. Wait till you see his work on Roy's car!

Now, the purpose of this post was to share what others will be doing to their cars while down in the off driving season.
Not to make a "list" of winter storage tips.
As far as things like changing brake fluid, I do this every few years, certainly not annually. And those areas of weakness that every car shares, each having it's own peculiar weakness, need attention on occasion. I know my rear brakes are getting thin, may as well pull down to the hub to check the repairs that the DPO had caused me to do.
Haven't repacked the front in a while. Etc., etc., etc.

That said, there are certainly many of you that simply park her in a dry spot and wait till the snow melts. All is good, I just tend to fiddle around more than most and make the hobby last through the winter. Gives me pleasure that way.

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]

Hey, ole Gary Martin sure does a fine job on those carbs, eh?
When you gonna post some pics of his work?

Folks, when Roy came by my house a few months ago and saw what my triple ZS carbs looked like that Gary had redone to concours quality, I think it sold him. I know there are other carb shops out there but none better than Gary. Wait till you see his work on Roy's car!

[/ QUOTE ]

Woops, I spoke too soon. Just saw your posting. Nice job!!

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Stabil in the gas tank. Gas companies no longer put stabilizer in fuel and it will start to varnish/change in about a month so even if you do drive a some not a bad idea.
Full gas tank and disconnect the pos on the bat and let her sit.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
Now, the purpose of this post was to share what others will be doing to their cars while down in the off driving season. Not to make a "list" of winter storage tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, TR6BILL, I misunderstood the purpose of the original post. I do not plan to do anything to the car over the winter. It's cold in the shed, and I'm too disabled and too broke anyway. I am, however, writing a Winter To-do List for my friend's vintage racing Spitfire. He has a heated garage. It's fun to spend someone else's money!