• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

gonna try making some wind wings.

matmire

gonna try making some wind wings.[FINISHED]

A forum member is already mailing me a template for cutting the Lexan, but I plan to make the hardware as well. Would anybody mind taking a nice straight-on photo of their hardware up against a ruler so that I can get my scale in the ballpark? If you can do front and side views, that'd be even better!

Also, I was planning on using 3/16" or 1/4" Lexan, but does anybody know how thick the original AMCO wings were?

thanks!

Last edited:

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The hardware that is on the windwings that Moss sells for MGA's is the hardware you want. Unfortunately you can't just buy the hardware from Moss.
I was able to get the hardware from a company called Factory Five. I am sure their wind wings come from China. I inquired if they jusat had the hardware and I was able to get a set, because now and then the wind wings are shipped to them and they are broken so they may have the hardware.

OP
matmire

matmire

Finished! It was a lot more work than I expected, but that seems to be the theme of most of my Bugeye projects. I made a photo album of the process... HERE

wings.jpg

OP
matmire

matmire

59diamond, I was inspired to make these after seeing yours at the LA Classic Auto Show! (I was the late 30s guy with the flat cap that chatted you up on Saturday)

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Matmire,
Excellent work on those wind wings! I had 2 different sets, one was purchased from an eBay supplier who didn't come close to your level of quality and the second was a period Amco set that came on a TR4a. Yours look as good as the Amcos and that's saying something! One suggestion...when you countersink the holes in the Lexan for mounting it creates a weak spot that eventually cracks...you can use screws that mount flat to the Lexan which should solve that issue.
Rut

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Nice Job. I talked to a lot of people during the three days the show ran so I don't completely remember you.

Bye the way John Felt who lives in Vista CA and is big into Bugeyes is working on having a Bugeye Barbeque again at his house maybe in late March. He hasn't had one for a few years.
We usually meet up somewhere in Carlsbad and drive around for awhile showing off our Bugeyes and end up at his house in Vista for the Barbeque and a lot of comparing Bugeyes etc.
We have had as many as about 15 Bugeyes participate in the past so you are welcome to join in. Anyone else with a Bugeye who is reading this is also welcome also.
i will let you know here when a firm date for it has been set.

OP
matmire

matmire

...you can use screws that mount flat to the Lexan which should solve that issue.
Rut

Interesting, I guess if/when these crack I can make another set without counter-sunk screw holes. Thanks for your kind words!

OP
matmire

matmire

I talked to a lot of people during the three days the show ran so I don't completely remember you.

Haha, I can totally understand that! BTW, your car was really beautiful.

That meet up sounds cool. It's a bit of a hike for me, but it sure would be fun.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Supposedly there are people that might come to the BBQ from San Francisco and Arizona. If I can drive to the LA Convention Center on thee freeway and back to San Diego driving from Studio City to Carlsbad should be a piece of cake.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oh one last thing. Does your BE have a 5 speed tranny, If so the drive is much easier. I was in 5th gear practically the whole 130 miles each way.

OP
matmire

matmire

Oh one last thing. Does your BE have a 5 speed tranny, If so the drive is much easier. I was in 5th gear practically the whole 130 miles each way.

It doesn't. She basically screams at me when cruising at freeway speeds.

OP
matmire

matmire

Going to go into production? Those look great!

Thanks! It would be a lot easier if I had a proper shop space and more robust tools. I'm not sure I could do it in a cost/time effective way with the resources I have. Maybe someday!

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag