• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vroom Vroom Bugsy is making good sounds once again

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
After several months of why isn't this working. Why can't I get Bugsy to run right. Why am I backfiring and have no power, will I ever get him right again I finally resorted to bringing Bugsy to see Steve Miller at MG Automotive here in Dayton. Bugsy has been starting but no power, misses, backfires, running on two cylinders at low speed, and general worrisome behavior. I fired up Bugsy this AM and limped 5 miles over to Steve's shop. And yes I'm fortunate to have someone that close who knows these cars.

Steve discovered issue with carbs that involved shimming a Grosse Jet on the back carb. Cleaning out some general crud, adjusting float levels, and overall carb maintenance that it takes lots of experience to perfect. Got the carbs fixed up and still had a bad miss, played with timing and just for the heck of it pulled the dizzy to check point gap. Son of a gun, points just absolutely gone. Now I replaced points I swear at the beginning of this journey in August to figure out what was wrong with Bugsy. Somehow points got good and cooked and burnt. No clue as to how as I've got minimum amounts of time as engine just has not been running right. Anyway, a change of points and Vroom, Vroom and running well once again. It's been such a long time since I got to take the back curvy roads back to the house I took the long way home this morning. And smiling once again after hearing those magic vroom, vroom sounds. It's crappy, rainy, and 44 degrees this afternoon in Dayton, I don't care, Bugsy is going to run a bunch of errands this afternoon.

PS. Looks like a valve job in the not too distant future. Back carbs aren't getting enough vacumm and I know compression is down on #3 and not as bad on #4. Floats do not rise at the same speed and even at constant speed back carb isn't opening as wide as the front. They are close but definitely an issue considering compression differences between the front of the engine and the back. Another winter project to be sure. In the meantime Vroom, Vroom.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Jim
If your points are burning out in record time then CHANGE THE CONDENSER!!
You may have changed it a few months ago but I will almost guarantee that it was a defective one. Do it again and the points should last a very long time.
BillM

G

If you've been leaving the key on without it running it'll fry the points (if they are closed).

Running 12v straight (with no resistor) to a low ohm coil will fry them in a short time also.

I don't like points for these reasons.

Petronix convesion isn't a bad idea and you won't have to worry about this anymore.

Glad to see you got it going again without major trouble.

:winner1: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Many dancing bananas for you my friend...... many dancing bananas !!!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Condenser got changed again yesterday. Yes there have been reports of defective condensers and no I have a bypass switch for the radio so I don't burn out the points by leaving the ignition on. I'm just happy to have Bugsy running once again.

G

Jim_Gruber said:
Condenser got changed again yesterday. Yes there have been reports of defective condensers

Didn't mean to step on your toes Jim. Just trying to be helpful. Sometimes, forgetful folks like me leave the key on, especially when getting in and out of a car trying to find a problem. I still do it after 30 years and it makes me just as mad if not worse ever time.

I never questioned it and it doesn't suprise the least bit...

like I said before :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Bugsy was out 3 times today,with tonneau on. Heater kept it toasty warm while sunny and 50 in Dayton today. He was happy, happy, happy to be out of the garage with the top down.

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I know the feeling when a problem gets fixed and the car is purring again. When the fuel problem finally was fixed on my car I just drove for an hour enjoying the feel of a car that liked what it was doing. May we all have many of those hours.
Charlie