• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugsy II - Left for a new home this morning

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy II left his home for the last 3 years this morning and headed North to the Detroit Area and is now owned by Tony Doneth. He works for Ford and runs the Dyno Room for all of the new engines. Anyway Bugsy will make his 5th BE Build. He showed me pics of the BRG BE he is building for his wife and it is a stunner. Bugsy has been passed on to good hands. A couple of pics this AM as Bugsy was getting ready to leave.

A garage full of stuff Rotisserie / Wood and Rain =less than perfect right angles
View attachment 45075View attachment 45076
View attachment 45077View attachment 45078

We used chain hoist to lift up the rear end of Bugsy and then Tony and and a neighbor pickup up the front end and placed on the ground. Got the rotisserie unbolted and then with a rolling start up the ramp and onto the trailer. Plywood across the ramp made it real easy to roll up. Nice brand new 6 x 12 trailer got Bugsy home. Easier to get Bugsy off of the rotisserie than I thought it would be. Tony left Detroit at 7:01 AM, arrived here right at 11:00, and rolled into his house this evening safe and sound at 5:05PM.

The good thing from selling Busy, cash flow for other items that Bugsy needs, 2 new Rear Shocks arrive Monday from Peter C., new fronts and discs, and major suspension build to follow in a few weeks. New Radius Arms will be installed as well as replacing Tube Shocks in the rear. That's my Project for this next week. Hey anyone got the correct sizes for BE Rear Shock Bolts?

I drove Bugsy on the actual street today and took him down to get a fillup on gas. Engine in 2nd gear pulls up to 5,800 RPM in a hurry. Feels really strong, and carbs still need tweaking and timing needs to be tweaked a hair but he starts easily after about 1 revolution from cold so I think Timing is pretty close to being dialed in.

Front end will be rebuilt with discs and new springs, shocks, and bushings and all the good stuff. Rear end new Radius Arms and Shocks and spring bushings and I will take springs apart and paint and use graphite Slip-Plate on them so they don't squeak. However I will describe handling at this point as "floaty". Bugsy changes directions really well but the rear end just sort of floats along back there. I'm sure that may be due to the Tube shocks and need for radius arm bushings and worn stuff up front but definitely did not feel like the point and dart/go action of Bugsy I, my '68 Sprite after I rebuilt the front end and redid bushings front and rear. And it did not feel anything like Bill Mayer's 60FROG, which is totally rock stable at high speeds and has true point and go anywhere you want handling. I'm certain based on the experiencxe I had with Bugsy I that adding a fresh set of Peter C's shocks all around, replace bushings all around, and get alignment dialed in, and I will be back to point and go handling. Right now it was really fun to get Bugsy flying around a few corners, but wider sticky rubber and 14" VTOs are coming versus 155/80/13 12 y.o. tires Bugsy is wearing temporarily right now. It's going to be fun getting all of this dialed in. Now to get the rest of the shop cleaned up before I start any more work on Bugsy IV. After moving all of the boxes out I found all kinds of misplaced tools.

PS - Brakes are getting better as well. Pedal still feels heavy but I can lock up at least a few of the wheels if needed as brake shoes are getting bedded in. Still tweaking going on with the brakes. But they certainly work better now that the clevis pin is in place.

Godspeed Bugsy II - Now to get my Avatar updated

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Congratulations to both of you! It's good to know that II is in very capable hands and will be restored to it former cuteness! Now if we can just get Tony to give us access to that dyno room!
Rut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the sale, and good luck to the new owner! Now you can focus on getting Bugsy IV just right.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
New shocks and radius arms are next up on the list to replace current tube shocks.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
6a00d83452e85869e201b7c7b7e815970b-pi