• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

We have Vroom, Vroom and an oil leak from the Oil Filter!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
11145508506_8b36b95920_z.jpg
After 35 years we finally have startup. Thanks to my uncle and all of you we were able to get her running today. Just a reminder of what she looked like when Doug M told me about her......
1870555397_b695930bae_z.jpg

Carbs need some adjusting and we need to do more of the wiring and fix the oil leak from the spin on oil filter!

The car came with a spin on oil filter with poor rubber O-rings. In my haste I for got to change them and now it is leaking. Any ideas about what size O-rings they are and where I can get them?

Again thanks. I will update the $500 Bugeye post later when I have a video. Tony would be proud to have a part of this and all of you should be proud of what you have helped me accomplish.

Paul

nomad

Yoda
Looks nice Paul and you should be able to get an O-ring to fit at any hardware store or farm supply store.

Kurt.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
That's always a neat feeling bringing something back to life that someone else had written off. Congrats!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Quite the transformation! Makes me feel like I'm cheating with my project. :grin:

Nice work, much to be proud of there.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Paul,
WOW, what a transformation! You have done some beautiful work, more pictures!
Rut

dklawson

Yoda
+1 to Nomad's comments on getting the o-rings from local sources. Though they may not be out front, I suspect most parts houses will have a selection behind the counter.

Common inch size o-rings follow the AS568A industry standard where the AS568A prefix be followed by a 3 digit suffix. Measure the o-ring gland size as close as possible for ID, OD, and depth, then visit the McMaster-Carr web site (www.mcmaster.com). Type "o-ring" into the search field and look for the nearest size o-ring that fits the gland then write down the 3-digit suffix number and take it with you to the parts store and they should be able to supply what you need. (i.e. If the o-ring gland looks to be about 3/4" ID by 1" OD and measures about 0.1" deep, you would need an AS568A-210 o-ring. You can use normal Buna-N (Nitrile) or Viton with gas and oil (never use EPDM with gas or oil, never use silicone with gas). The typical/common hardness for common o-rings is 70 durometer for Buna, 75 durometer for Viton.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I was thinking about this today-
doesn't the o-ring come on the oil filter and not on the adapter?
If you just buy a new filter it should have the o-ring.
BillM

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the complements guys! Bill the spin-on adapter has 2 o-rings. I will take the entire unit off and take it with me to the local farm store and see what they have. No one seems to list what size they are. Moss UK still sells the kit. Might give Moss US a call to see if they have any idea. The kit Moss sells now appears to have changed.
Paul

nomad

Yoda
Agree with Bill...if the oil leak is around the top of the filter then you would need to replace the screw on filter. If memory serves there is also a O-ring between the filter block and the engine block.

Kurt.