• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Houston, we have a problem...maybe[?] Opinions...

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful
OK, I've got the TR-6 on the lift at work to change its vital fluids and inspect/grease.

While fiddling about I discover that the left rear hub has a VERY minor bit of play...

If I wiggle the tire (in any direction) it feels like a "click-clearance", almost not noticeable. The RR has no play whatsoever...

I have no experience here. How long 'till I'm scoopin' up parts along the road.

Can a reasonably skilled mechanic (that's me) with a well equipped shop (that's work) rebuild the hub?

Anybody done this? I'm under the impression that its a black art to be undertaken right after spreading diff cases with your bare hands...

I drove it home and it seems fine on the road...

Details: 1971 TR-6 67,045 miles, PO replaced diff bushings and universals. I am a nervous owner...

Advice appreciated. Too poor to buy a TRF rebuild at this time... willing to attempt it on my own with Bentley manual in hand.

Thanks in advance.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Whew, that is tough. It is almost impossible to get the hub apart without the special tool. The flange is on a giant taper and really resists coming apart.Most attempts just result in bending the flange. Perhaps someone has developed an improved method for disassembly, but I at least am not aware of it.A little play is not unusual. Just monitor it, and save for a replacement.I met my lawyer 25 years ago because the local dealer had rebuilt the rear hubs on his TR6. They failed catastrophicly, two different times, with tire loss both times. Be Careful!!

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Amcboy i would check a few things first. Pull the rear wheel and check the flange for breaks,check the centre nut for tightness(100-110 foot lbs)if I remember correctly also pull the drum and check the 6 bolts that hold hub to trailing arm,they have been known to pull out of the aluminum. Be careful with these little buggers as they pull out of the aluminum very easily. Check torque spec carefully here,ibelieve I run mine at 144- 160 INCH POUNDS...

To split the hub is a fair nasty job and requires a special tool to be done properly.There is a thread on this tool a couple weeks back under, name this tool, where i have pic posted of a hub splitter and blueprint was posted on how to build one.

Is the hub noisy at all? I have seen them with a bit of a click in them, and run for a long time before getting noisy.
It does become a bit hectic tho if they fail as Jesse mentions.Having your wheel pass you on the road, spoils an afternoon outing :savewave:

OP
amcboy

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful
OK it sound like I just need to check the tightness of the respective fasteners and monitor for additional play...

Saving now for the replacement :frown: ...

swift6

Yoda
A press can split the hubs if you support the flange correctly. As mentioned, it is very easy to bend the flanges through poor support, then its pretty much done. Even supported, it can take about 28 tons of force from a press to separate them. It can get kind of scary too.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Houston, we have a problem...maybe[?] Opinion

Aloha amcboy,

Way back when all I knew was straight-axle TRs, I bought a TR-6 from a gentleman who'd sold his condo and had to have his son's derelict 6 moved ASAP. In the process of unfreezing the brakes, I noticed the passenger side rear hub seemed loose, like a really, really bad front hub bearing repack. Not knowing any better, I towed the car home and broke out my TR4/TR4A Bentley manual.

The TR4A section had a part on checking rear hub bearing end-float. Having driven only solid-axle TRs for 15 years, I figured this was like adjusting the front hubs, only from the back. Not having any special tools, I used a neighbor's vise and his really big wrench and reduced the float. I did know that you can't back it off to loosen due to the collapsible spacer, so I carefully tightened until the float was barely there.

Put it back on, spent a few months getting the car operational, and drove it for 10,000 miles before it started to get loose again. Now somewhat wiser, I replaced the whole pass side axle assembly with a junkyard unit...that turned out to be from a Triumph sedan, but that's another story.

I don't know if I'd do that today, but p.390 of Bentley's TR6 book has the same procedure under "Reducing end float." The section immediately following is "Increasing end-float", obviously put there in case you reduce the float by too much. It's only 2 steps...so no sweat. Of course that second step says to carry out "Rear Hub Bearings - Remove and refit"...Yow!

If all else seems smooth, it might be worth a try. If you have a dial gauge you can do it just as they describe.

If you still need those TR-6 Kidney panel templates, I've got the originals out of my project car on a shelf - can do easy.

Jeff
74 & 74.5 TR6

OP
amcboy

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful

Yeah, I re-read that section in 'ol Bentley while on the throne this morning and it seems to be within my capabilities.

So I'll give it a shot.

Its gonna go bad eventually anyways.

Jeff, if you are willing to trace your panels for me that would be great.

I'll PM you my address. I'll be happy to refund the postage and the cost of the paper...

Hawaii... I've only been to the big island, and then only to go surfing.

Ahhhh, youth...

jessebogan

Jedi Knight

Off in the past, I had a customer do the adjustment on his TVR hub (TR6) Not long later, on the Jersy Turnpike, at speed, the stub axle broke, and the drum, flange wheel and half the stub axle parted company with his car. Scary, but in that case, other than the pucker in the seat, no real damage was done. Be careful. These are old stressed parts. If I were to rebuild one, I would have every part crack tested, and still be really wary. Better to be safe than sorry. Your life can be at stake.

T

Tinster

Jesse,

I had the passenger rear wheel hub fall out of the trailing
arm with the car doing 40 mph around a bend. The Mrs was not
amused. Neither was I. It was terrifying.

The Roadster Factory sell rebuilt rear hubs. Maybe I'm gun shy
because my car falls apart so often. I would not mess around
with a questionable rear assembly.

Just my 2 cents worth.
d

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

amcboy said:
Yeah, I re-read that section in 'ol Bentley while on the throne this morning...

Thanks for loading us up with that mental image.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

meh.

I've done 'em in a press, but I'd not do another if it were a client's car. The TRF replacement is about as good as it gets, IMO. Save up yer sheckles and monitor the one onna car. :thumbsup:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Thanks for loading us up with that mental image.[/QUOTE]

George,

At least he didn't give us a YouTube link to watch.

OP
amcboy

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful

Yeah that's the plan. I'm selling a collector gun on Saturday to pay for the hub and some other stuff...

I appreciate all who chimed in.

Mighty re-assuring to have this powerful tool at my finger tips.

Gonna hafta put a 'puter in the throne room...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

When I cabled th' hovel I gave serious thought to a Cat-5 drop inna necessary. Then came wireless. :smirk: