• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Good Chromer in Houston

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I thought I'd post a followup to an earlier thread where chromers were discussed. Just got back a few pieces I had done about a month ago - I'm very happy with the results:
IMG_2641.jpg

The chrome shop is Superior Chrome, they've been in Houston quite a while though they've moved their business just recently. They do a lot of hot rod/antique work including bumper restoration. Link to their website is here. NFI on my part, but I'll go back to them.

Nothing is cheap anymore, and this chrome experience wasn't cheap either - but I think it may be better priced than some of the other prices I heard. For me, the windshield surround (not the stanchions), rear bumperettes, and gear shift lever came in around $300. Yes, painful, but I heard of worse prices than that.

G

Yikes!!!!! $300 bucks for a shift lever? I had 58 pieces done in Hartford Conn. 6 years ago for $1200 bucks. That included a shift lever,grill,emergency brake handle,complete wind shield frame,engine crank support and a ton of bezels and bits for my TR2. Even though it was 6 years ago $300 sounds kind of steep.Find a place that doesnt just specialize in just automobile chroming. Look under industrial and even race cars.Look for guys do chroming for the plumbing market too. Check some of the places in Hemmings.Even though you might have to send the stuff,you might save a fortune.Bling Bling.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
John, I think Randy had more than just the shift lever done.

Tinkerman

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Tinkerman said:
John, I think Randy had more than just the shift lever done.

yep, that's right. the costly bit was the windshield surround at about $200. The gear lever was actually around $25 - of course they probably eye what you have, and eye your wallet and figure out a total from there! But like I said, I'd go there again.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for the info Randy. I just had my valve cover done for $45.00. It's going back to be redone, just because I want them to waist their time like they waisted mine. Then I will send it off to be redone again by someone else. Can this stuff be rechromed to many times?

How did you prep your items or did you let them take care of it all?

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Keith-

Other than wipe off grease and dirt, I didn't do any prep. I wish I had before/after pics of the rear bumperettes, they were really nasty on the backside and they've been fully blasted and look new again. I don't have first hand experience but I was told they do a great job on bent bumpers. I did see the 'old guy' who was the expert banging away on an example. They certainly were busy and I saw a lot of vintage chrome pieces just looking around.

Randy

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Very nice. That pricing doesn't sound bad to me, in fact it sounds pretty good compared to many of the quotes that I have seen.