• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Full spats for a TR3?

Country flag
Trying to locate a set of usable full rear wheel spats for a TR3. Are they out there? If someone has one side and another person has the other side, that will work. I have no idea if these are unobtanium, etc. :smile:

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've only seen one set offered on eBay during three years of fairly frequent checking for parts I might want. They went for over $900, as I recall. They are a scarce commodity, if not unobtanium.

There is a maker/seller of sheet metal Brit car parts who always has stuff on eBay. He makes spats for Jag XKs. I asked him abut TR3 spats and he said he doesn't have a pattern to copy. He bid on the set I mentioned above, but didn't get 'em.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There was someone out here that was reproducing them at one point, perhaps in the late 80's. But they wouldn't fit my car, so I didn't buy any.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If someone has Albert Roth's email you might contact him. I recall that at one time he had some in his extensive parts stash.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Last time I talked to Al, he was getting out of the TR parts business and selling off his considerable collection. That was a long time ago, and much of it was already gone by then.

PeterK

Yoda
Think I saw them online from the UK in glass. The same dealer sold the fiberglass cockpit aero door extensions too. I'll browse my favorites and see if I bookmarked it.

(but personally, I like them as much as wide white tires) {sorry}

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
PeterK said:

Possibly one of the reasons that they are so rare...Nobody could stand the way they looked! :laugh: And I also don't like white walls.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
If you have some tools and skills, they can be home built. Here is an article in Rod & Custom magazine. Seems these guys run into the same problem as we do, <span style="text-decoration: underline">if</span> you can find it it's expensive.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I do have some patterns for the spats, I made them from a TRF set that I bought in the late 90's. I was planning to make up a set but then the TR was rearended and I am now a little busy rebuilding the new TR . I hope to be at the TVR meet in October. If you are in no hurry i will try and get to them this winter.
IMG_9110.jpg

IMG_9107.jpg

IMG_9108.jpg

OP
S
Country flag
No rush for them, and I suspect 'glass ones would be just fine. Thanks for the responses and let me know if you find any of those links.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would love to get a pair of spats for my TR3A. I think they look great on the car, they give the car a terrific vintage look. Thanks for the link on how to make a pair. I might try fabricating a pair over the winter for my car. That would give the car a awesome and very unusual look.

PeterK said:
Think I saw them online from the UK in glass. The same dealer sold the fiberglass cockpit aero door extensions too. I'll browse my favorites and see if I bookmarked it.

If you can find that link for the UK place that sells the spats and the door extensions that would be great to post. I saw a pair of the door extensions on eBay about a year ago but was out bid on them at the last moment.