• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Full of [3] Questions

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is starting to get their cars out on the road with the better temps. Well. I have a few questions that I would like some feedback on.
1.) On my 78 Midget 1500, the center of the windshield has a threaded rod that I think acts as a support brace that runs to the rearview mirror. I want to take my mirror off to paint up the bracket and that rod as they are on the ugly side from age. Will this create problems removing this temporarly?
2.) I have this really anoying screaching sound from the engine bay. Its like finger nails on the chalk board. I found it to be the cover on top of the radiator. There is 2 bolts mounting it and the one is rubbing the top of the radiator and making the noise. When I look in the Moss / Victoria British catalogs there isnt even a bolt on that side in the pictures. Im wondering if I can just remove it but then the shield will be held with just one bolt? Its purpose is to protect you from the fan from above.
3.) On the differential, what can you use to open the filler cap. I finally checked and filled my tranny but I know the differential needs some fluid as well. Is there a square tool you can buy or do I need to grind down an extension socket or something?

Any info I appreciate.
Thanks gang.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
3) A standard socket extension for a ratchet works fine. I think it's 3/8" drive. If not, it's the 1/2".

No grinding necessary. Take ratchet, put on 2" extension, and loosen plug.

1- shouldnt be any problem
2= find a shorter bolt?
3- should be a 7/16 square- i have a half inch extension i have ground down to fit.

m

RickB

Yoda
3.) 3/8 extension worked charmingly on my '78 diff.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
3) I slipped a small washer in with the socket wrench to take up the slop. They sell a tool for it though.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Used to have a old 'dog bone' wrench. Fit everything. Sad it was stolen in '79.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Midget78 said:
Hello everyone. I hope everyone is starting to get their cars out on the road with the better temps. Well. I have a few questions that I would like some feedback on.
1.) On my 78 Midget 1500, the center of the windshield has a threaded rod that I think acts as a support brace that runs to the rearview mirror. I want to take my mirror off to paint up the bracket and that rod as they are on the ugly side from age. Will this create problems removing this temporarly?

you can take the mirror off without disturbing the rod - just 2 screws. I was going to paint the road also and was preparing the surface with steel wool and it shone right up. while I'm sure you can take it off, it will likely clean up in place

2.) I have this really anoying screaching sound from the engine bay. Its like finger nails on the chalk board. I found it to be the cover on top of the radiator. There is 2 bolts mounting it and the one is rubbing the top of the radiator and making the noise. When I look in the Moss / Victoria British catalogs there isnt even a bolt on that side in the pictures. Im wondering if I can just remove it but then the shield will be held with just one bolt? Its purpose is to protect you from the fan from above.

Those bolts are short. likely the PO put bolts in that are too long - I used new bolts and just used a thick washer and a lock washer to fill the gap.

3.) On the differential, what can you use to open the filler cap. I finally checked and filled my tranny but I know the differential needs some fluid as well. Is there a square tool you can buy or do I need to grind down an extension socket or something?

I just used a 3/8 socket extension

Any info I appreciate.
Thanks gang.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
You're right John, we didn't address his first two questions. As to the center support rod, yes you can remove the rod, but first soak the threads on the lower nipple well with PB blaster or such and then be careful. You should only have to loosen it a bit to release the tension on the upper mount where the mirror is so that can be removed. Note the amount of tension on it before you loosen it, it doesn't take much, just snug.
I'm not familiar enough with the 1500 Midget to answer your second question for sure, but I'd say that all fasteners should be in place, there was a reason to have each of them or BL wouldn't have spent the money. I do wonder if that cover vibrating could be causing the noise you describe, much more likely it's the fan clutch hub. Those will shriek like mad when the start to fail.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Larry -

Seems as if your up and running again. We can take her in next week. I've got the tool (ground down socket ext) for the diff.

email me privately. Back on Tues.

Geo