• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any suggestions for draining a full gas tank....

G

I will probably by draining my tank and pulling it out when I do the floorboards. Will take out the gas lines as well. I haven't sucked gas out of a tank since 1963 when I stuck a rubber hose down in the tank of a 1952 Plymouth to steal the gas. Since the statute of limitations has passed on this misdemeanor, I can talk about it now. The taste of gas, however, still lingers in my memory. Any other way of pulling a siphon safely from the top? Do they make a cheap gizmo for this?

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
In my youth I was know as high octane breath until I discovered if you get a long piece of clear tubing (10'), coil it down into the tank. Then pinch of the end and slowly extract it. As it comes out, you will notice there is gas in the line. Keeping it pinched, bring it down below the level of the gas in the tank and let 'er go.

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There's a cheap plastic pump type siphon made for kerosene heaters that I have used but don't they have a drain plug on the TR6 fuel tank?

OP
G

Re: Any suggestions for draining a full gas tank..

[ QUOTE ]
don't they have a drain plug on the TR6 fuel tank?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Mine's an aftermarket aluminum tank anyway.

An aside on the Moss tank, it had a number of extra holes with plugs in them. None were drains. I think they were for fuel injected cars. I had a good welder close these off before I installed it. My OE tank was a disaster, spent a bunch overhauling it. Still leaked. Just went with aluminum.

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee

go to a hardware store and get a squeeze bulb like they use in the line of an outboard motor. The one that goes between the remote tank and the motor. A few feet of plastic, one end in the tank, the other in a can. Squeeze the bulb to get the fuel flowing and then stand back and wait.

Bugeye58

Yoda

Roto-Zip?
Just an idle thought, Bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]
Roto-Zip?
Just an idle thought, Bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that be Roto-BOOM ?

OP
G

The fun part comes when I try and write this baby off as a dental expense . Maybe I can call it a laser cutter.

Kirk_Fisher

Jedi Hopeful

How about driving it so it isn't a FULL tank? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That would be a lot more fun anyway.

swift6

Yoda

Thank you Kirk! I couldn't believe this took so long for the appropriate response. On a Triumph forum no less. Aaacck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
G

Boy, you guys are slow. How many MG owners does it take to drain a gas tank........

davidk

Jedi Trainee

Use a section of clear tubing. With one end in the tank, cut a small slit in the tubing near the other end. Insert an air nozzle from your air compressor into the slit pointing it AWAY from your fuel tank. The air pressure will create a suction on the hose. You can see the fuel coming thru the clear tubing. Works every time. (No gas after taste!).

OP
G

Hmmm, a gasoline spray gun.
David, did you try this as a high school science project? Are you really an MG owner trying to subvert a nice TR6?

Did Jaybird put you up to this?

I dunno, it really might work. I think I will try it with a bucket of water first. Not as flammable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

R6MGS

Yoda

I like the old fashion way....a little petrol mouth never hurt anyone.
And since someone had to mention MG's I'll state that MG's are alot easier to siphon from, with the gas cap located conveinently at the back of the car above the bumper you can use a shorter line and still keep the jug on the ground(lower than the tank). With the TR6's you need a real long line, the longer the line the harder it is to get a good siphon goin. And there you have it; an analysis of ease of siphoning - TR vs. MG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R6MGS

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, a gasoline spray gun.
David, did you try this as a high school science project? Are you really an MG owner trying to subvert a nice TR6?

Did Jaybird put you up to this?

I dunno, it really might work. I think I will try it with a bucket of water first. Not as flammable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well back in the day we'd run low on paint(and reducer) while paintin cars...so we'd thin the paint with a little bit of gas-o-line....paint went on surprisingly well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

RomanH

Jedi Knight

Why don't you just drain it from the bottom?
Use a section of hose and make an adapter from the appropriate size of Bundyweld tubing. Pinch the rubber line that passes through the floor; disconnect it from the hard line on the frame. Insert adapter into the fuel line and release the clamp. Instant gravity feed.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I just drained mine, so maybe someone can learn from my mistake.

I'd tell anyone to just buy a cheap clear plastic siphon squeeze bulb for six bucks at Ace Hardware, and drain the gas into 5 or 10 gallon gas cans.

Do not try using that red fluid exchange pump we all use for oil and other fluids. The instructions say it works as a siphon, but like *$#@@& it goes.

I could've saved a full day if I'd just gone to ACE.

Best.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Since the fuel line runs below the tank, can't you merely disconnect it at the fuel pump and let it drain there?