• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

front wheel bearing question.

tomshobby

Yoda
I ordered new front wheel bearings as long as I have the front apart. I never even looked at the old ones and did not realize they were ball bearings. Today I got the new ones and saw they are "County" brand. So now I am looking at options and see that there are taper bearings that fit. I found part numbers on the BCF WIKI and could go to the local bearing house for a set. I do think the inner race number is incorrect 07024 and supposed to be 07204 though.

My question is, My instinct tells me that the taper bearings are a better way to go, but what do you guys think? I did search the archives and had no luck.

Country flag
Most of the replacement ball bearings are not exactly correct. So many people use the roller bearings. However, you need to be careful since there is a radius on the spindle that can cause the hub to sit out too far. I hate to say it, but ask Peter. He probably has them in stock. You may get lucky with replacement ball bearing and they will work, but often the spacer needs machining by a few thousands (or worse ... needs lengthening)

tao724

Jedi Trainee
The guys at the Winners Circle in Cleveland, (216-889-4666), know all about this question. I bought a Tapered Roller Bearing Kit from them last year, but havnt put it in yet. They give good reasons for switiching to the tapered bearings, and will give you the tips for placing them properly. THERE WEB SITE IS SPRIDGET.COM.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Trevor Jessie is right on, Peter does have the correct bearings to fit and at a good price. The problem on many bearings is as he said, not enough chamfer on the ID to clear the filet radius on the spindle. I highly recommend checking the fit of any bearing before installing it in the hub or packing with grease. All you have to do is slide the inner bearing on the spindle and check if it fits flush or nearly so up against the rear of the spindle. If not the radius is wrong and you need to either get another bearing or if no other bearing is available increase the radius of the bearing. I used a die grinder with a small stone and then washed the bearing carefully and packed with grease.

Attachments

• 17475.jpg
    17475.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 246
OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
Thanks again for the information.

I just got off the phone with Peter. I will be able to pick up the parts tomorrow.

I ordered the first set of bearings before I went to see Peter for the shocks. After an "I told you so", Peter told me that he has good quality ball bearings available. But I am just not comfortable with ball bearings for the front hubs and opted to go with the taper bearings anyway.

I know, these cars have done well over the years with ball bearings. It is just my comfort level after more than 50 years of maintaining and repairing vehicles and machinery and replacing thousands of bearings I will feel better knowing that there are taper bearings in there. Please remember that it is just my opinion.

I did feel better though after I ordered a part for my TR6. Peter wanted to know why anyone would ever need that particular part so I was able to pass some knowledge his way.

nomad

Yoda
I've heard or read somewhere that by fitting timken taper roller bearings without a spacer between the bearings, as is on the original,
one puts more stress on the axle.
It would seem logical that the spacer locked tight against the bearing race's and the axle hub would reinforce the axle assembly.
The racers in the crowd know spridget front axle's are'nt any stronger than needed.
What say the group???
KA

OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
I just got back home from stopping in to get my bearings from Peter. We had a nice conversation about bearings and several other topics.

First of all I found that he carries a good brand of ball bearings. To keep the car original I would have been fine with them. But I still prefer the roller bearings and that is what I came home with. To be candid, I have installed thousands of taper bearings over the years and to be honest it did effect my decision.

Peter has ran the County brand, the brand he has, and the taper bearings in his race car. None of them have been perfect but he has settled on the roller bearings for that car. However he is still a fan of the ball bearings that he carries for most applications.

Peter did tell me that he can get the original ball bearings with the brass retainers but they are expensive.

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Oddly enough, this bearing issue was at the root of the mysterious disc brake conversion issue on my bugeye.

I just spoke to the mechanic today who said that they discovered unusual wear on both the pads and rotors. Digging deeper, they found that the PO had done some grinding on the calipers...Not understanding why, they went deeper and found that the bearings that had been installed did not accomodate the beveled spindle...And with this, Grendel has been chased back into the wilderness and the saga of the BrakeWulf has come to a close.

Yikers.

Can't wait for the bill. I think it's name is Grendel's Mother (for those who enjoy Anglo-Saxon monster stories).