• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Flamethrower Installation

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Anyone here put the Pertronix Flamethrower on a 1275? I bought one a couple of months ago and thinking of installing it this week. I know the red wire connects to the + side of the coil, and the black wire to the - side. What happens to the white wire that connects the points on the Lucas 25D distributor? Will the tach still work with it disconnected?

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I put one on my 1275 this spring, my Midget is a 67' which has been converted from pos ground to neg ground by P.O.
I just ran out to the garage to check,connected as you state above, and white wire is connected to the + side of the coil - my tach works fine, well as good as those tachs can... I believe the white wire is the "power" wire for the coil as I remember -

OP
jhorton3

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I installed the Flamethrower and it really has transformed Midgie's engine into a really good running unit. Cold start is almost instant on with full choke. The misfire/hiccup/burp in the idle is no more. Idle is rock steady at 1K RPM. I think I've also finally got a good setting on the SU carbs, as I had very little backfiring when letting off the gas.

Test drive was going to last about 5-7 miles, but went more like 35-40. It was the most fun I've had in the car yet! Plenty of power in all gears now. On the interstate at 70 MPH I still had plenty left to pass a semi, which was unheard of before. I took it up to 75, which for the shape the suspension is in, I think was fast enough.

Install wasn't too bad. Stumbling blocks were having to take the distributor hold down plate off and stretch it out a bit, because the Flamethrower has a bit more girth where the plate fits around. As usual I got the plug wire order wrong, but quickly figured it out and got it sorted. The white/black wire that went to the Lucas distributor no longer has a function to perform.

In the test drive the only problem I had was after I stopped for gas about 25 miles into the drive. About two miles away from the station the engine backfired and started running rough. I thought I had a bad tank of gas. When I checked under the hood number 3 plug wire had slipped out of the distributor cap. I took my flathead screwdriver out, spread out the connector a bit so it would catch the side walls, and problem solved.

I have to say so far I'm impressed. I'm interested to see what it does for my fuel consumption too.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
I bought and installed the full flamethrower dizzy which has been great. I hooked it up to the MSD-6AL which is what drives the tach so I can't really help except to say that the diz is great. My one problem is that with all the electronics in there, my inductive timing light can't get a correct signal. It just flashes like crazy anywhere near the engine compartment. Maybe I should put a pace-maker warning on the fender!

68Sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Thats awsome, I think the key to these motors is a good ignition system. I'm running an MSD 6A-L with a new points type dizzy with a pertronics unit inside. Works like a champ. Also carb tuning is much more easy when you have a big fat spark.