• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Convertible top webbing installation help?

OP
Texas TR3

Texas TR3

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello all,
I have received the webbing kit that I ordered for my convertible top frame. I got it from Moss. That said, there are no installation instructions. I have searched the forum for TR3 related help with installing them and only found one thread on the topic, that provided a bit of insight, but was not about a complete installation. If anyone knows of such a thread or other resource on this topic, we would appreciate the help. The thing is, that the webbing likely crumbled to pieces long ago. When my mother had the body and interior restored in the early 2000’s, the old convertible top was discarded, being deemed too far gone. The tubular frame was repainted and reattached to the car, but with no webbing and no new top was purchased. In fact the anchor plates that hold the end of the webbing to the back of the cockpit are missing. The other plates are on the frame, fortunately.
Having never in my adult life seen the webbing in place or had the opportunity to put the top up, I have no idea how to install the webbing properly, with the correct spacing between the anchor points on the tubular frame and the ones on the car’s body. Also, I need to locate a pair of the anchor plates that hold the webbing to the car body and the fasteners. I did already purchase a new Robbins top.
If anyone can help or has experience with this, please shed some light on the topic. I found this photo, that shows the back of the frame with no webbing, but with the plates on it, and the missing ones on the body,-Tim
E284449F-2469-46B9-A9B2-C2C54FD806DA.jpeg

Below; Taking mom for one last ride before bringing the car to it’s new home in Texas.
BE19B609-7B30-44AA-B150-8DACD803AC9F.jpeg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
That is a great car; very original looking. I will take some pictures or find some old ones soon. Robbins tops are a tight fit, but they do fit. Watch out for some of the online videos on Robins tops because there is a double flap that seals front and some of those guys online cut it off because they do not read the instructions and that does not help with a good front seal.

Another hint is to let the back rib closest to trunk float. Do not hook it to the webbing that way you can slide that rib down to its locking spot on the whole frame after the top is fastened down around the car. Letting the last rib float will help considerable when you but the top up.

So you only need to fasten the webbing on the other 2 ribs and the back of the car. The Robins top has sewn seams where the other 2 ribs rest, so that will help you figure out the spacing. There pictures out there for general spacing and somebody will probably post it. If you need to move the webbing plate on the frame because of a mistake they move friendly. When fasting the web on the car you can let the webbing run wild past the fastening points and trim later with some scissors.

When putting the top on the car, let, whole ribbing assembly sag down into the cab of the car and then once the top is fastened around the car, push the frame up like an umbrella and slid the last rib down in the back to pull in all the slack.

Are you putting the top on? And for pics of the webbing check on this forums history for putting a top on the car.

Steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Everything you ever need to know about upholstery is in this old thread. The top installation starts at post #83:

In answer to the webbing question, install the webbing to the rear scuttle, and then install the top, with the bows in the proper locations so they match the seams in the top. Then mark the webbing, lower the top, and attach the webbings to each bow at the marked locations. There are some threads and instructions that give exact webbing locations on the bows. I prefer to ignore those, as each top has its own "personality" and will not line up perfectly with generic measurements. Measure the locations to your top and it will come out perfect.

PS...enjoy my old build threads for another year while they last. Photobucket is getting expensive (again), so the pics will likely die next June.

OP
Texas TR3

Texas TR3

Freshman Member
Country flag
That is a great car; very original looking. I will take some pictures or find some old ones soon. Robbins tops are a tight fit, but they do fit. Watch out for some of the online videos on Robins tops because there is a double flap that seals front and some of those guys online cut it off because they do not read the instructions and that does not help with a good front seal.

Another hint is to let the back rib closest to trunk float. Do not hook it to the webbing that way you can slide that rib down to its locking spot on the whole frame after the top is fastened down around the car. Letting the last rib float will help considerable when you but the top up.

So you only need to fasten the webbing on the other 2 ribs and the back of the car. The Robins top has sewn seams where the other 2 ribs rest, so that will help you figure out the spacing. There pictures out there for general spacing and somebody will probably post it. If you need to move the webbing plate on the frame because of a mistake they move friendly. When fasting the web on the car you can let the webbing run wild past the fastening points and trim later with some scissors.

When putting the top on the car, let, whole ribbing assembly sag down into the cab of the car and then once the top is fastened around the car, push the frame up like an umbrella and slid the last rib down in the back to pull in all the slack.

Are you putting the top on? And for pics of the webbing check on this forums history for putting a top on the car.

Steve
Thank you very much for the compliments on the car and for the advice! I will be attempting to fit the top and webbing in the next couple weeks. I have an intense work schedule right up to leaving town for some family travel this coming weekend. There is a good chance that I will be able to drive the Grand Marshall and lead the local Independence Day parade! So the top fitting work may be delayed in favor of prep and detailing for that. -Tim

OP
Texas TR3

Texas TR3

Freshman Member
Country flag
Everything you ever need to know about upholstery is in this old thread. The top installation starts at post #83:

In answer to the webbing question, install the webbing to the rear scuttle, and then install the top, with the bows in the proper locations so they match the seams in the top. Then mark the webbing, lower the top, and attach the webbings to each bow at the marked locations. There are some threads and instructions that give exact webbing locations on the bows. I prefer to ignore those, as each top has its own "personality" and will not line up perfectly with generic measurements. Measure the locations to your top and it will come out perfect.

PS...enjoy my old build threads for another year while they last. Photobucket is getting expensive (again), so the pics will likely die next June.
Thank you sir for your past work on that thread, I will definitely look at it! Your experience and advice is appreciate. I agree that generic measurements are not likely to work, and suspected that it would be custom adjustment to my specific car. Learning a tried and true process from experienced owners is what I was looking for. -Tim

OP
Texas TR3

Texas TR3

Freshman Member
Country flag

Steve
I forgot to mention in my previous response that I did read about the extra flap for sealing along the windshield and will not be cutting it off of the brand new top that has yet to be removed from the box. Thanks for re-enforcing what my gut already told me- Tim