• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

FlameThrower vs PertronixElectronic Ignition 100-4

musme

I have a 100-4 with Dennis Welch Cylinder Head, High Compression Pistons and 100M Camshaft. I have to decide between a Flame Thrower Electronic Distribuitor (sold by Moss) or the Pertronix Ignitor Electronic Ignition (also sold by Moss).

1. Who has experience using one of the 2
2. Can I use bumble bee cables with both or not ?
3. Is the final performance the same ?
4. The price is no problem
5.All comments are welcomed....

thanks,

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
1. Who has experience using one of the 2 -------?????
2. Can I use bumble bee cables with both or not ?-------YES
3. Is the final performance the same ? Probably pretty close. However, IMOP Pertronix has the greater experience.---Fwiw--Keoke
4. The price is no problem
5.All comments are welcomed....

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
As much as you have changed your engine mechanicals, an upgrade to your ignition system (possibly Pertronix components) is probably a wise choice for a next step.

Just keep in mind what Pertronix parts WILL and WILL NOT do.

1) The distributor drop-in Pertronix Ignitor Module is simply a magnetic on-off switch. A rotating magnet opens and closes this switch with a fair repeatability. The Ignitor module replaces the points, but only stabilizes your ignition "dwell". Dwell is the ratio of points open time vs. points closed time. Dwell affects your spark duration by varying the unit time your coil has to charge and discharge. With the module, dwell is preset and NOT adjustable as it is with points.

If you have a choice, choose the Ignitor module over the Ignitor II. Ignitor II modules have a trendency to let the dwell setting "drift".

2) To the attributes of the Ignitor module, the Pertronix Distributor adds very precise ignition timing and very precise ignition timing advance.

That is a double edged sword.

You have changed so many performance variables (head, cam, pistons), each one of which will GREATLY affect the ignition timing and advance curve that your engine needs, UNLESS you are willing to invest the time and effort necessary to map the fuel and ignition needs for your dramatically changed engine and to re-curve the Pertronix distributor to meet those needs, you would probably be better off just installing the module and leaving the distributor for another time.

Because of the timing and advance precision in the Pertronix distributor, unless the advance curve is correct, your engine might actually run more poorly than if you had left it alone.

If you have not done so, undoubtedly the best thing that you could do for your engine is to upgrade the coil. Your changing the head and pistons was undoubtedly for an increase in compression. Each point rise in compression (8.0 to 9.0, 9.0 to 10.0 etc) requires about a 10,000 volt increase in spark intensity across the same point gap to properly start the highly compressed fuel to burn.

Dropping in a high dollar distributor is not a performance "magic bullet". With a stock coil and improperly timed spark (precise, but ill timed), you could be worse off than before.

Tim

Frankenhealey

Jedi Trainee
Tim,

I wish you'd posted this a month ago! I bought an Ignitor II and Flamethrower coil for my Mallory Dual Point. I had a HEI dizzie and MSD 6 but that gave up the ghost due to damp so went to simplicity with points (dual) and coil. That system started eating capacitors so I did some research and chose the Ignitor II setup. Fitted it no problem but the S.O.B. wouldn't start. Went straight back to points and the elektrickery will have to be a winter project for a rolling road where we can set it up properly.

I now carry two spare capacitors, spare points and a spare coil :wall:

Cheers,

Ian

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I grew up in a racing family, dirt tracks, asphalt, modified s, sprint cars. We used Mallory ignition systems exclusively. Of course that was a couple years ago, (Grin), during that time we went to magnetos and never looked back. We never ran anything but mags after that. Like others have said, every engine has it's own personality and they must be tuned to conform to that or you will not get everything it is willing to give. You know, a lot like a woman, you gotta treat em right if you want to be successful! Wow, this is bringing back some fond memories. Sorry for drifting off. PJ

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
@frankenhealey.

About 10 years ago I bought a Mallory Dual Point and chrome coil. Had a miserable time for most of that season of racing because the capacitors kept failing and leaving me with a 'dead' car (went thru about 8 of them that season). Several phone calls to Mallory tech were of no help until one day I got a tech advisor on the line who lowered his voice and said "we have had some quality issues with our capacitors lately so go get a stock one for a Chevy and put it in..." I did so and have never had another capacitor fail, period.

This was about 10 years ago, and they (Mallory) may have cured the problem by now, but I stuck with the Chevy ones because they never let me down. BTW, we call them condensers here in the colonies

Last year I changed to the Igniter II (in my Mallory Dual Point dizzy) and found no change in performance, just less fiddling.

Dave