• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

exhaust header wrap

domdeboss

Freshman Member
I've just had my 1275 in my 68 Cooper S rebuilt and slightly uprated (small overbore, two 1-1/2" carbs). I'm concerned about excess heat in the engine bay. I am considering wrapping the exhaust headers with heat resistant tape. It's supposed to keep the heat out of the engine bay and in the exhaust pipe. Has anyone done it or have any concerns?

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Not wrapped but have had headers done with Jet-Hot process or similar and seems to really make a difference. Wrapping may be easier at this point and certainly cheaper.

Bruce

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I hear that it causes reduced life in the headers if they are wrapped.---Keoke??

Country flag
I've a friend who has done this and found that it did make a big difference. He's recommended doing it or having the headers coated in my Big Healey once I get to that stage....

I've also heard that the wraps can trap humidity and cause increased corrosion though I'm unsure how relaible that information is.

dklawson

Yoda
I'll be the third to forward the hearsay about wraps shortening the life of headers. That said, I still have the original, stamped factory header on my -S and it is wrapped. I had to repair it during an engine rebuild two years ago. I decided that since its condition wasn't pristine... I wouldn't be hurting anything by using wrap and the cost of ceramic coating wasn't justified because of the damage I repaired. (Hope that makes sense). Anyway, the header wrap has kept my under hood temperatures down. I have a very stock -S bored out +0.060" with the original two 1-1/4" SUs. I've installed a Swiftune SW5 cam and done a little head porting but the engine is largely stock and the wrap made a noticeable difference.

racing girl

Jedi Knight
We were also warned about wrapping the headers, but our rear engined G15 was suffering in the summer heat in Michigan, we had to do something - actually we did a few things - wrapping the headers was one of them.

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
It was so warped and twisted, I had to practically rebuild it to make it fit.
It would have been better if they had just sent me all the pipes and flange, and let me weld it together myself!
I bought it a few years ago, last minute before an event, and didn't have time to return it when I saw how bad it was.

Morris

Yoda
I feel your pain. I wish, I wish, I would have asked the forum before purchasing mine. I bought them off eBay thinking it would be cheaper and better than going back to stock. My stock manifold (surprise, surprise) busted, and I did not want to take the chance of busting another. Also, I could not find another used stock manifold. Only the manifolds for earlier cars seem to be available.

Now, almost a month after recieving my headers, the car sits dimantled in the driveway awaiting me having the time to invest the many hours required to get the headers to fit right.

Oh well, at least my misery has a bit of company.

Morris

Yoda
Thanks! I just ordered my wraps. That place has great prices!

morris