• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1275 Header and exhaust

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Does anyone have a good line on a header and exhaust (possibly free flow) for a 1275? What is everyone running that is comparable and how does it perform/sound?

The header that I have for a 1275 will not fit in the Bugeye.

bugimike

Yoda
Pace Setter on a 1275 (in a Bugeye)also w/1.75" pipe into a Harley Davidson free-flow muffler. Increased performance, and sounds great!!

Why/how doesn't your header for a 1275 not fit the bugeye?

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
It will not clear the steering.. It has been sitting around the garage for years. I assumed it was for the 1275. But I guarantee it will not fit because of steering.

bugimike

Yoda
VB sells the Pace Setter. It is the second header I have bought, and have had no problem with it, the first having come from JC Whitney (which was very poorly made but cheap...you get what you pay for!). I did see one or two headers recently for sale on ebay! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Country flag
Maniflow from AptFast?

Sell that header to Drew for when he does his right hand drive conversion. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Thanks mike. Does your header come down in between the steering column and the engine or on the other side of the steering column?

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
There you go. Drew, I got it--real cheap price!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
I think Mike and I figured it out. Cut the bottom hole a little toward the rear and it should slide on in there. Wish I didn't have to work tomorrow!! I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow night.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm actually holding off on the RHD conversion for now... too many other things to do first.

Let us know what you eventually do to solve your problem, Boz. I'm taking notes for my 1275 rebuild.

Alot of racing headers don't clear stock steering columns, racer re-did thier columns to work around their headers not suggesting you do this, but maybe this explains the header you have.

bugimike

Yoda
Boz, here is the picture I said I would post last night. Not pretty, but it works! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• 4514-100_1674.jpg
    4514-100_1674.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 38
OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Hey Mike!! A little cut here a little cut there. It fits!!

Attachments

• 4523-engine.jpg
    4523-engine.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 95

bugimike

Yoda
I knew it would! Looking real nice...Keep inspiring me! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Boz,

Sorry for being dense, but exactly what did you cut? I have a Bugeye with a 1275 so I may get around to an LCB one day, and would like to know the details of this small surgical operation you did.

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
No problem.

Under the "steering column" is an oval where the exhaust exits the engine compartment and goes under the car. The header would not slide into place because of the lack of room. I made a cut towards the rear of the oval hole and opened it up about 3 inches. This allowed for a bit of a twist of the header and I could carefully slide it into place. The head was getting caught between the hole that I cut, the steering column, and the rockers (took the valve cover off not to scratch. Once I was able to clear the rockers all went smoothly!