• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tubular header to ss exhaust pipe

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
This seems to be a problem.

I'm reusing a tubular header that I've had for years. It has a 1-1/2" female connection to the pipe.

My old exhaust pipe was 1-1/2" OD (mild steel), but a while ago, anticipating the rebuild, I purchased a Bell ss exhaust for the 948 that I had at the time. The thinwall tube is only 1-1/4" OD. I've done some research and I'm confident that the tube and straight muffler will give me the low enough backpressure and high velocity that will work well, even for a 1275. I've checked and the standard 1275 steel exhaust is 1-3/8" OD.

I also have a motorcycle exhaust set of bushings that gets me down to 1-3/8" ID on the header.

Problem is I cannot find a way to bridge the last 1/8" size difference to get to the 1-1/4" OD on the pipe. I've searched the UK sources and called local exhaust and motorcycle shops, and nothing seems to be available. By the way, I Emailed Bell and have not received a response. Disappointing...

Does anyone know a custom exhaust shop that could fabricate an adapter? I cannot be the only one to have run into this.

I would revert to the 1275 header, but the Bell front pipe is shaped for the 948 manifold.

Thanks for any sources,

Michael

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
aeronca-

Thanks- close, but the 1-1/4" OD is actually too small.

Maybe I can offer a prize- all the unusable and extra parts that I will have left over from the restoration. The winner will have to send a truck...

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Michael,

Any decent muffler shop should be able to make this up for you. The usually have the machines to stretch or shrink the pipes. All you need is a short coupling.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Michael, Gerard hit the nail on the head. My muffler shop 'sweged' the muffler to fit the exhaust pipe, no adapter needed. They can do it for a slip fit or weld it.
Rut

OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
Gerard-

I'm not sure what universe you guys live in. I read about all of these friendly local glass and muffler shops that look for unusual challenges. Around here (NJ) I have not had that luck.

I have called around. If it isn't a stock size, no-one is interested. I had bought an expander months ago- supposed to start at 1-1/8, but it won't fit into the pipe. I was concerned about stretching the thinwall ss anyway. It joined my pile of unused or never-will-be-used parts and tools.

If you know a shop in CA I would call them and have it shipped. Any source would be appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Michael, not sure where you are in NJ but, I googled "custom exhaust" +NJ and got a number of hits. You are correct that most shops only care about what they have on the shelf but, they are out there.
Custom shops in NJ

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Michael,

I think as JP suggested already, you want to avoid the "big box" stores and try some custom or at least small. independent shops. In my "universe", there are places I can walk into like Sanderson Headers, but I use a small muffler shop in town for this sort of thing if I can't find an off the shelf reducer.

OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
JP-

I've called a couple, including Mufflex in Camden. No-one goes down to 1-1/4". The best suggestion is to weld a larger pipe onto the end of the Bell pipe. That may be the way I have to go.

I've also found some slip-on chrome pencil exhaust tips in the UK that are meant to fit over the 1-1/4" pipe. If I cut one up it might create a bushing from 1-1/4" to 1/-3/8", which is what I need.

I know in the scheme of things that this is a very minor issue. I'll get it resolved.

Thanks,

Michael

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Michael, have you considered getting a flange instead? wouldn't be perfect flow but it is another option & would be removable.

OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
Problem solved. Found an adapter that has a 1-1/2" ID and 1-3/8" OD, at Advance Auto of all places. Expanded the 1-3/8" end slightly so that the 1-1/4" ss pipe "slipped" in, and butted the 1-1/2" adapter end to the header, with a 1-1/2" short pipe connecting inside. Looks streamlined and flow is smooth.

Thanks.

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
Congratulations! I know the great feeling of accomplishment when you persevere and achieve your goal. Remember what Thomas Edison said - "Invention is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration".:cheers:

OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
Miracles enter into it. After searching the web for hours I found the little sucker laying in a bin at the store.$3 for the adapter and $30 for 3 chrome motorcycle exhaust clamps. Seems right...