• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Exhaust/ Fuel line?

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I was doing some work on my exhaust over the weekend and I discovered that the metal fuel line runs along the exhaust and touches in some places. Is this something to worry about? Makes me a little nervous.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Definitely sounds like an OOPS to me. You really don't want to have the fuel boiling in the lines.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John,
i have two TR4's and the fuel lines like the TR3 runs up the left or driver's side of the car. The only thing near the exhaust is the speedo cable on the right side of the car. I am sure that the outlet on the fuel tank is on the driver's side as well as the fuel pump. Hard to understand why somebody would alter it that way.
Or might the location of your problem be at the rear of the car that might have a dual exhaust?
Charley

HerronScott

Darth Vader
John,
i have two TR4's and the fuel lines like the TR3 runs up the left or driver's side of the car. The only thing near the exhaust is the speedo cable on the right side of the car. I am sure that the outlet on the fuel tank is on the driver's side as well as the fuel pump. Hard to understand why somebody would alter it that way.
Or might the location of your problem be at the rear of the car that might have a dual exhaust?
Charley

Charley,

John has a TR4A which has a different frame and fuel pipe routing than the TR4 due to those differences (through the center where the exhaust passes). But seems like either the fuel line would have to be either away from the frame or the exhaust would have to be too close to the frame for this to happen.

Scott

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Charley,

John has a TR4A which has a different frame and fuel pipe routing than the TR4 due to those differences (through the center where the exhaust passes). But seems like either the fuel line would have to be either away from the frame or the exhaust would have to be too close to the frame for this to happen.

Scott
Scott,
So which side does the fuel line run on your TR4A's? I am well aware of the different IRS frame but the fuel tank and fuel pump are still both on the left side of the car, while the exhaust is on the right side of the engine.
Charley

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On a TR4A IRS the brake and fuel lines run up the left frame rail, my guess is that a solid axle car would be he same. The exhaust runs down the center close to the driveshaft and then splits for the dual system. Not certain how it connects to a single system with the cross muffler, never looked closely at those.

OP
M

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The fuel line on the IRS runs next to the brake line. The problem is, when the exhaust splits at the Y the fuel line is touching the exhaust. I was able to bend it a little. Now it sits about an inch away. That still makes me uncomfortable. Is an inch enough? Otherwise I was thinking of running a new line on the outside of the frame.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
With only an inch, I'd want some sort of radiant heat shield between them. Especially in Phoenix. Note that you don't want the brake line touching the exhaust either.

OP
M

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The PO must have done something, because the brake line runs nice and straight along the frame. The fuel line arcs, curves and runs in a real odd way when it comes out of the frame and into the "tunnel" before exiting and going to the tank.