• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Engine Rebuild kit

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Found an engine rebuild kit on ebay that has tri-metal County bearings, and includes all parts with pistons and rings for $479. Sounds like a good deal. Anyone have any experience with County bearings?

Perry

arcom

If I were a Brit I would take serious offense at the seller's use of the flag as a tablecloth.
attachment.php

Attachments

• !BS7Kcug!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLl)cYWBKFs5c0GPQ~~_12.JPG
    !BS7Kcug!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLl)cYWBKFs5c0GPQ~~_12.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 232
OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Agreed. I'm not a native Brit but I don't think it appropriate for the Union Jack.

Perry

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well so far, the shop says block is good, no cracks, head good no cracks. Head needs valves, and springs. The cam is bad, block is standard bore and may be fine. I am having them check the bores for taper. They said there isn't much if a ridge so I hope I don't need to bird it out. I need to save a bit.

Looking for for cam suggestions. I had an S-2 cam from British Parts Northwest. It was a 270 degree cam with moderate lift and good overall power. Am leaning towards a bit more aggressive cam. Will probably get Goodparts tappets. Will have head fly cut and it is the bigger exhaust valve head.

Let eft me know what suggestions you have.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
There's a bit of a difference between the S2 cam and the BPNW 270 cam.
The S2 is a bit more aggressive if you want to call it that.
I had an S2 and my cam got wiped out too. I'm not saying it was due solely to the cam, but more due to a combination of related things.
I've driven a couple of TR6's with the 270 and the GP2 cams; they were OK, but not THAT much better than the stock 311399 found in the post 72 TR6's
You don't get any bragging rights with the 311399, but I like it.. I like it's range and it's smooth idle.

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good to know. I was thinking of going to one of Goodparts cams. Anyone have any experience with them? I have the early big valve head and higher compression, with SU HS 6's so I thought it could handle a bit more cam.

Perry

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Shop also says need an overbore, to.030. Needs cam, valves, springs. Could be expensive.

Perry

tomshobby

Yoda
I have the early big valve head
Perry

I understand that the bigger valves are not necessarily a good thing. Apparently they are closer to the side of the chamber wall so the flow around them is some what restricted. When I did my '76 the larger exhaust valves were considered but in the end I stayed with the standard ones in stainless with new exhaust seats. Now with several years and many miles I am glad I did.
I did go with the GP2 cam from Goodparts and have had good luck with it although some have not been as happy with it.

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Have all parts, almost to do the motor. The lower end rebuild kit came and had .020 instead of .030 crank bearings, so I ma awaiting replacement. I have to say the seller, 1882sean was very responsive and even sent the replacement before I sent the wrong ones back. All parts are County brand and look really nice. I have the GP2 cam and followers from Goodparts and am eager to see how it does. The head will have new valves and springs, dual, and a fly cut. I also am awaiting the small end rod bushings. They are not in the rebuild kit. I am going to do a little porting on the manifolds to open them up a bit.

Perry

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well after quite a delay, and 3 wrong bearings being sent, I finally just got a refund for the crank bearings and got them from Moss. The shop has all they need. The head is done. The tri-metal bearings from Moss were King brand so I am pleased. Hope to get the short block back soon and get it back in and running before September so I can at least enjoy some fall driving.

Perry

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Got the word on the engine. It's done, but so is my wallet. It came out to $2200, about $500 more than I hoped. But, they did do the head, new valves and springs, fly cut, decked the block, cleaned all balanced, bored .030 over, polish and grid crank, re-assemble. Parts were another $1800. I could have probably popped for a race motor. Now just need to get it in and running in so I can enjoy before winter.

Perry

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If your block had recesses around the top of the bores, I would think that they were removed when the top of the block was machined. Which means that the recesses would have to be recut or the earlier style head gasket will have to be used.
Berry

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I know what you mean, no the recesses are still there. I have the head gasket from Payen with the metal rings to seat in there.

Perry