• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

clutch slave engine mount

KAllen

I would like a pic of yours - and comments on its mount for the clutch slave in your TR6. My 73 tr6 came with it positioned to the front of the engine plate (towards the radiator) - but my bently manual shows it to the rear on the bellhousing on the differential side. I have replaced and rebuilt the clutch and tranny (in and out now 3 times - so getting good at that part). But when I drive it for 10 miles or so and it gets hot - I have 1st gear/ reverse sticking issues. I also made sure of tranny install with 3/8th pins to locate the bellhousing into the engine plate. My new slave cylinder and all the associated parts is mounted based on the Bently manual ie in the front of the mount plate - so I am thinking that rod travel - with the mount towards the front of the car - is an issue. I am running a Luk clutch assembly. Replaced ALL the cross shaft parts and bearings in the bellhousing too. Thanks in advance for your comments

Kim - pester

tomshobby

Yoda
This is from the original Triumph handbook that came with my 76.

In the pic, front of the car is to the left. The camera position would have been near the ground behind the driver's front tire. Mounting plate is on the front of the engine flange, slave slides into the plate from the rear.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
KAllen said:
...my bently manual shows it to the rear on the bellhousing on the differential side... <and now> ...is mounted based on the Bently manual ie in the front of the mount plate...

Sounds like you're saying 2 different things there or else I'm confused.

It is confusing in any case as (if I understand things correctly) the 6-cylinder TR is mounted in the opposite position from the 4-cylinder TRs.

swift6

Yoda
Mounting tabs of the slave cylinder should be on the back side of the engine plate for a TR6, all years.

OP
K

KAllen

back meaning towards the rear - it is what my manual shows - my mount is opposite so the clutch slave trow is less by the mount width

swift6

Yoda
Yes, back side means towards the rear. On the transmission side of the engine back plate.

You have to slide the hydraulic side, where the hose from the master cylinder connects and where the bleed screw is, slides through the hole in the mount so that the tabs of the slave cylinder are on the back/rear side of the mounting plate.

just like the pic that Tom posted.

tomshobby

Yoda
KAllen said:
back meaning towards the rear - it is what my manual shows - my mount is opposite so the clutch slave trow is less by the mount width

The photo I show is from Triumph, not an aftermarket manual. It is how my slave is mounted and it works properly. Unless there was an update from Triumph or other years were different I would think that is how it was supposed to be. Although another thing that might effect the position is that there are two different bore size slaves.

The position has no effect on the amount of throw because the clutch master pushes the same amount of fluid either way. That is unless you reach the extreme forward or rearward position where the piston would be pushed out of the slave or it would bottom out in the slave cylinder.

T

Tinster

Sorry to jump into this technical thread.
Here is an actual photo of the slave cylinder
as installed in my 1969 TR6. It might or might
not be installed correctly but my clutch functions.

d

slaveCyl.jpg

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
Thats not a leak it is your automatic undercarriage protection system
an LBC protection enhancement :driving:

OP
K

KAllen

Hey tinster - Thanks for sharing - I have enjoyed your posts elsewhere on front end work - so just saying thanks (btw I live near ft myers fl not quite as tropical as you - but close!) - seems your slave mount looks to be mounted to the radiator side - I am just now making a new mount to the diffential side - putzy work - but I have time. I am thinking the extra 1/4 inch - well more like 1/2 inch with the bellhousing will help -

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Tinster said:
...Here is an actual photo of the slave cylinder as installed in my 1969 TR6. It might or might not be installed correctly but my clutch functions....

I'm guessing that those 4 washers added between the bracket and the cylinder flange were an attempt to get more rearward distance from the pushrod.

As you say -- it works.