• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Belt Type" squeal BN1 - Throw out bearing? uh oh...

Crowbar

Hello Gents,

My car has about 2000 miles on a 2010 nut and bolt restoration.

Recently she was sitting for about two months over the winter, when I broke her out for some spring driving, I noticed that a squeal had developed when the car is started and driven in low gears, the squeal disappears when the clutch is pushed to the floor.

When the car heats up and is driven the squeal decreases, and eventually disappears, but it returns when the car is started the next day.

My first thought was that it was just a slipping fan belt - but it didn't make sense that it would disappear with clutch pedal depression. Now I'm concerned that it's the throw out bearing in the gearbox - which surprises me considering the recent gearbox rebuild - though the car was driven sparingly (probably too sparingly) by the PO who I bought the car from a year ago.

Any thoughts?

Best,

GC

Country flag
I have no idea what the squeal is, but I doubt it's the throwout bearing; these are a graphite disk that press against a steel platen on the clutch cover. I've heard of these wearing out prematurely, but it would likely make a grinding sound, which wouldn't go away; i.e. you'd hear it every time you pressed the clutch in. There are roller bearing release bearings available; if the restorer used one of these it might be the culprit.

Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope (they're really cheap at Harbor Freight)? With one you might be able to better locate the sound. I've had a 'squeal' noise come and go in my BJ8; it seemed to come from the engine, and I never identified exactly what it was.

OP
C

Crowbar

Thanks Bob...I have a stethoscope, I'm going to try listening around the car tonight. Will also take the fan belt off and hope it's that easy, but I doubt it's a slipping fan belt - that shouldn't be affected by pushing the clutch pedal in...

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi GC,

I do think it is a slipping fan belt that has hardened and, although it seems tight, slips a little until friction heats and soften the compound to gain sufficient hold. I would try another fan belt from a different supplier before tearing your clutch apart. Pushing is the clutch seems to have no connection to a slipping fan belt but it could change engine speed or even cause an ever so slight change in belt attach angle. The cost of the belt is far less then any other solution pursuit at present and, if not a fix, can be saved as a spare.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
CRC makes a spray to reduce fan belt slipping. I've found it to be useful if the cause isn't a misalignment of the pulleys.

RAC68

Darth Vader
wouldn't it be easier to just either tighten the belt or temporarily remove it to troubleshoot the noise?

I believe that is what GC said he was going to do.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I believe that is what GC said he was going to do.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

It could be a fan belt or a thrust bearing or anything--literally--in between.

Thinking further perhaps when one owns a Healey he needs to develop a bit of tolerance for strange noises. To be sure some sounds will point us to the imminent failure of a component that may be critical, but others are simply inherent when we have hundreds of moving parts 50 years or more old.

I had a sound--I can only describe it as a high-pitched rattle that appeared between 3000 and 3500 rpm's, but only with the car in gear and moving--from some place in the vicinity of the carbs. It began a few years back and no matter what I did I could not reproduce it with the car at rest. I thought about removing the hood and climbing onto the engine while someone else drove the car, then realized that I should probably just live with it, and that is what I did.

About six months ago I removed the carbs for rebuilding and replaced the cold air box with velocity stacks. On reassembly the noise disappeared and nothing--apparently--broke in the meantime.

Last edited:
OP
C

Crowbar

No worries, it was just a slipping fan belt...got a new one from the local AutoZone, replaced it, and the squeal is gone.

I tend to expect the worst when things go bad on these cars...happy to be pleasantly surprised for a change!

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Same problem on my MG TD and my oldest mechanic solved in five minutes -tighten the belt-
lesson learned

OP
C

Crowbar

I don't think the stock belts are 3 inches wide...the one Moss sells as "stock", is a standard v-belt maybe 1.25 inches wide...

Problem is that my car has has the generator replaced by an alternator, so the belt Moss sells is a bit too long. I use a B-43 v-belt and it works fine...

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A stock, 100 belt that's, like 3 inches wide?

What kind of blower/supercharger are you running Bob on your 100 to have a 3" wide belt:highly_amused::highly_amused::eagerness:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What kind of blower/supercharger are you running Bob on your 100 to have a 3" wide belt:highly_amused::highly_amused::eagerness:

Maybe the Hemi Healy? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
11380058_1685215275040873_2079931032_n.jpg