• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gen/waterpump belt

Bobbydsport

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum but not new to Healeys. My first car in 1959 was a '56 BN2. Then in '63 when still in the service I had another '56 BN2. Got married in '65 & sold the BN2 for honeymoon money.Still have the same wife & finally got back into a Healey. It's a '67 BJ8 second series.I'm going thru the mechanics to make it more road worthy & while replacing the generator belt which is suppose to be 1/2" wide I noticed the old one was 3/8"wide. The new belt fits the pulley on the crank & the one on the water pump but its obvious that the pulley on the Generator wants a 3/8" belt as the 1/2" one is raised above the edges of the pulley about 1/16th of an inch. My question is do you think the belt will be thrown off down the road or stay on. I know the best solution is to change the pulley on the Generator which I will do eventually. Just wondering about in the short term. Thanks for any input.

Bobbyd

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No it will not come off the pulley.
But it may compound the generator charging at idle problem, it will slow the generator down-:friendly_wink:

OP
B

Bobbydsport

Bill I don't really know what gen I'm running. I've only had the car a couple months & am trying to sort things out. The gen has a tag on it that says made in UK & dated 1997. It appears to have a 3/8" pulley on it as noted in my first post.

Bobbyd

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bill I don't really know what gen I'm running. I've only had the car a couple months & am trying to sort things out. The gen has a tag on it that says made in UK & dated 1997. It appears to have a 3/8" pulley on it as noted in my first post.

Bobbyd

There is a model number stamped into the case of that dynamo.

OP
B

Bobbydsport

Keoke, There is a number stamped into the case next to the name Lucas, it is 62. Then there is a tag pasted on the dynamo that says "type 22900". I haven't removed the dynamo so I don't know if there are any other markings on the bottom side of it. Make any sense? Thanks,

Bobbyd

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke, There is a number stamped into the case next to the name Lucas, it is 62. Then there is a tag pasted on the dynamo that says "type 22900". I haven't removed the dynamo so I don't know if there are any other markings on the bottom side of it. Make any sense? Thanks,

Bobbyd
Bobby
Type 22900 generator is the correct dynamo for your car - unfortunately I am unable to find LUCAS class- probably the CV42 PVC
that have 35 A 12V capacity- Shaft diameter 17mm
The only trace that I have find
"The dynamo was type C45PV5 on the 100-Six, C45PV6 on the Mark I and II, and C42PVC on the Mark III."

NOTE power requirement have a dramatically increasing in the time-
our AH cars require 200/300 watts -Actual cars requirements are more than 2000/2500 watts (MIT article)

OP
B

Bobbydsport

andrea, thank you very much for the info. I think that perhaps someone in the past has possibly put the wrong size pulley on this dynamo.I'm going to continue checking.

Bobbyd

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bobby,

BJ-8 phase 2 cars came with different pulleys, a 3/8 pulley for the early phase 2 cars and a 1/2 inch pulley for the later phase 2 cars. The 3/8 pulley was part number AEC 2078 which was fitted to cars with engines in the range of 29K/H101 to 10271 (my engine is in this series). The second was part number 12B701 and was fitted to engines number 29K/H10272 on. The second pulley is for the 1/2 inch belts. There were also engines with prefixes of 29 KF and 29KFA that I am omitting so let me know if you have one of those. Sadly, the pulleys usually do not show the part number. I "may" have the right one for your car that I would be happy to send you. If it is correct, you can send me yours. If it is not correct, I will buy yours once you get the correct one for your car. The 1/2 inch pulleys are pretty easy to find.

Let me know.

Best regards,

Bill

Last edited:
OP
B

Bobbydsport

Bill, sorry, but I haven't been at the computer. Grand daughters recital & working in the garage. I have no problem trading pulleys with you if the one you have is correct for my car & vice versa. Let me do a little checking with my buddy at the Healey Surgeons in Md & I'll get back to you.No need for both of us to have the wrong pulley.Take care & stay safe.

Bobbyd