• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Adjustable Trailing Arm Mounts

D

DougF

Last weekend, my frame cracked at the left rear shock mount. I thought I got good welds on it, but tonight proved otherwise.
So this weekend, the trailing arm has to come off for better access.
This will be a good time to install the adjustable mounts that have been on the shelf all summer.
Do these change the ride height at all?
Are they pretty simple to dial in?
I'm not too excited about doing this now as I planned to prep the car for next weekend's trip to the Glen.
Fortunately, it's a long weekend.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
BobbyD can answer that for you, as I'm sure others can. I never used them so I would be guessing.

He may have a section on his website that you could look at. He's very picture and explanation detailed about the work that he's done.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Doug
are you running tube shocks or the oem door stoppers/levers?
in regards to adjustable mounts, (Good parts?)make sure you put the shims back as removed so your alignment doesn't change and then adjust for camber as required,which will raise or lower the car a bit.

OP
D

DougF

Yes, Tubular shocks and Goodparts. I should have reenforced my welds when I installed the shocks. They were pretty weak from the factory.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Doug when you redo your brackets check to make sure that your shock is not bottoming out before hitting the suspension stops.
I had to lift my suspesion stops about a quarter inch to keep the shock from bottoming out first.
If your shock is your suspension stop,i believe the bracket will continue to tear up the frame.
originally there was two stoppers,one on the lever shock arm the other on the swing arm hitting the stop inside the fender.Going to tube set up you lose the one stop,therefore make sure the one on the swing arm bottoms before the shock comes up hard,and rips the mount outta the frame.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Doug......Goodparts' TA kit is very easy to install and adjust. Just make sure you keep track of how many shims are at each TA mount point as you take your exisitn TA off of the frame. You'll need to replace the shims exactly as they were to maintain your alignment. You can see the kit install here https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/TrailingArmKit.htm

KitInBoth.jpg

Opa

Jedi Trainee
DougF said:
The problem is the rubber stop broke.
Thanks for your help.
That will do it.Also I don't think the replacement bump stops are as tall as original,that's why i checked trailing arm travel with spring removed and found shock bottomed out before the stop was engaged.I shimmed up bump stop and put a plate across original stop in the fender well.I also ran a reenforcement bar between shock mounts from side to side

OP
D

DougF

My weekend soap opera, "As the Wrench Turns", has taken me in several directions. I pulled the bump stop from the trailing arm and some of the threads came with it. I put a new one in, but with spacers it doesn't leave enough thread. I am trying some thread locker as an experiment. My other option is replacing the trailing arm as there isn't enough material to drill for a heli coil. My spare has the correct stop in position.
I was tightening the wheel down and stripped the lug nut. I'm now replacing the lugs but am having trouble finding a 1/2" drill.
A couple of the studs holding the half shaft at the trailing arm felt like they are borderline stripping. I've cleaned the anti seize out and replaced it with threadlocker.
Things are slowly getting tightened and lubed as the day gets long.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
I shoulda mentioned, a little heat on the snout were the stop is mounted and then a sharp rap with a chisel helps to loosen them.
I would be a bit leary if the hub studs feel "soft".Losing a wheel at the hub is not something you want to experience.Don't ask how I know this.
I don't use any more than 12 ft.lbs.(144in lbs)of torque on these. I know most manuals call for 14-16 foot pounds,but from experience I've pulled to many out at them ratings.
In the first pic.you can see a little rubber o ring on the shock shaft.That's how I keep an eye on the amount of travel the shock does while motoring about.You can also see the plate I mounted on the fender stop shows signs of being hit.Most of that happened on the trip to Laughlin Nevada.Was loaded pretty heavy by the time we got back home.(19 days on the road).

Hang in there...n...happy motoring!

OP
D

DougF

I am very cautious with those studs, but I think they'll be ok. Thanks.