• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Adding a bike

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
When I started the car quest, I sold my bike (a Kawasaki W650 Triumph look alike). Now that I have a smiling little Bugeye in my garage, my thoughts are turning back to motorcycles. My wife even supports this, what a wonderful women. Anyways... since LBC-ers and motorcyclists seem to overlap a bit, I was looking for some comments on my current top choices.

New Triumph Bonneville
1970s BMW airhead (/5 or /6 probably)

I'm more draw to the classic lines of a British twin (LBM?) and really like the new Triumphs. The old airheads are also nice looking, and very long lived. I'm more drawn to the Triumph--it is British after all, but the airheads are neat in their own way and have some technical advantages like larger tanks for touring, and easy maintenance. Just don't know what they'd be like to live with as an everyday bike.

Mostly just thinking summer thoughts on a gloomy Saturday.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bonnie!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you buy a "newer" Triumph,buy one that's 1-2 or more years old.These things deprecite horribly.
Better yet,buy a '70's Triumph,or Norton.

- Doug

I'll always kick myself for not getting the Triumph Bonneville that was offered me for $400. But I'm not a motorcycle guy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I sold off all my bikes last summer. I've had enough (for now) But If I was to get another bike it'd be one of these

Now that... I could get into /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
bike01.jpg

THERE ARE A COUPLE FOR SALE ON EBAY!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
One-a Newton's Unwritten Laws (according to SWMBO): Doc don't ride no "two-wheels" no more!

I'll admit, I miss it at times.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I love all the old Brit and Euro-bikes (and we have a Ural dealer nearby). But I'll admit that I do like many of the classic Japanese bikes, including the original, wire-wheel, CB750.

I raced AMA off-road enduro for years, running many of the classic enduros (such as The Sandy Lane and The Meteor), generally on Japanese singles. During those enduro years, I got a real appreciation for Japanese singles.

I'm too old for bike enduros, but I still like street bikes and I am an earned AMA life member

My favorite bike is the Honda GB 500 (with clubman styling, wire-wheels, single-seat, single-cylinder). I *own* a very similar Honda Ascot 500 single, but I'd love a GB.

Honda GB 500
GB500TTrightsidebef.jpg

V

vagt6

I just joined the bike club myself, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Modern bike are highly specialized, there's one for virtually every rider need. For example, I was looking for a 650-750cc bike and found no fewer than 30 models to choose from! It's mind boggling.

The standout in the above class is the Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom. It seems to do everything reasonably well, and the price is only about $6,500 OTD (tags, title, taxes included, or "out the door" price) with a 12 month warranty. It has huge aftermarket support with tons of add-on mods to personalize the bike. There's also a 1000cc V-Strom if you need extra power for 2-up riding. Both excellent bikes for the money.

I'm past the sportbikes and crotch rockets, all that power and speed don't really do that much for me. Also don't want a big hog or cruiser bike. I like the sports tourers and dual sports mostly. And, I need an upright riding position, it's far more comfy than leaning over the bars with all your weight on the arms and wrists.

My ultimate bike would be a Honda ST 1300 or a big BMW.

Maybe someday . . .

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Those old Honda GB500s are really cool bikes. A bit rare though, so not on the top of my list. It's funny, I got my first bike in 2000 partly as a substitute for the fun car I couldn't afford and didn't have any work space for. So when I sold my then-current-bike last year to fund the Bugeye quest, I didn't really figure I'd miss it. I was amazed to discover that I had become a motorcyclist for real. The experience of riding is just something I can't be without now.

I like the classic styled bikes, but I'm tending towards more modern interpretations because I don't want to spend lots of time on restoration/maintenance. I've got the Tunebug for that! That's part of why I lean so much towards the new Bonnie. It's got most of the classic looks, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country.

I've got a few months still, since we just bought a new truck for my wife on Friday, and have to now sell her old car. Once that is cleared up, though, it will be time...

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The bloke that you bought the frog eye from had a Bonnie...should have made a package deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif Now you need to review your web page...you are collecting things now aren't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif
Cheers, David.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, I have my Norton & a friend offered me an old Suzuki - thinlk its a 950...is it worth anything? Good ride? At least its an electric start....

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's a small collection, that's all! It's always a struggle with me between the minimalist and the collector. Besides, it's only one car and one bike, that's minimal in a way...

Old Japanese bikes are rarely worth much, but can still be great to ride. If that Suzuki is cheap, then it could be a fun deal. A good, simple ride-around bike that doesn't ask much. Never a bad thing.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Look again - old Japanese bikes are going way up in value
- I'm talking '60's & '70's here.
I'm amazed at what people will pay for some of them.

- Doug

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
The perfect "classic" bike with touring ability? Wht the Norton Commando Interstate. You get the 5 gallon fuel tank, choice of 750 or 850, and kicker or electric start. I would guess that 6500.00 would buy a really nice and sorted out example, and it should appriciate in value over the years. In a fit of stupidity, I sold off my BSA's after a pretty good car accident. I now have a 1970 Yamaha R-5 350 two stroke and am very slowly restoring a 68 bonnie.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You mean like this:

tot1.jpg

Bugeye58

Yoda
Pretty bike, Tony. Mine was black.
I saw a nice looking BSA 650 Lightning in front of a guys house last summer, with a for sale sign on it. By the time I got back there the next day, it was gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Jeff

I've always sortof wanted one of these...
202060-RZ50.jpg

Yamaha RZ-50, but just sortof as a novelty bike though. Being 50cc, I don't see myself pulling hard up any hills.

Attachments

• 202060-RZ50.jpg
    202060-RZ50.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 101

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, my helmet is painted to match my bike!