• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

add-on heater valve

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
My heater control valve is stuck in the hot position and the operating arm is broken off. By a PO. Even with the top down, it gets downright HOT in the cab. So yesterday and today I drained my coolant, flushed the system, made up a new heater control valve assembly and assembled it. See attachment.

Parts required are (1) 1/2" ball valve, female at both ends and (2) 1/2 male threaded barb fittings and (2) additional hose clamps.

My valve conversion will work nicely as long as the original valve will pass a reasonable amount of hot water, regardless of the condition of the insides of the valve - and you do not have to remove the old valve!

I removed the valve-to-heater hose, measured it,cut it to two lengths that lets the valve sit in a relatively clear area. There is enough give to the hose to allow slipping it over both the heater nipple and the valve nipple. Clamp it all together, add your coolant and Voila! you can control the heat again.

If the heater doesn't pass enough hot water, it will be necessary to gut it and then do as above. I am sure someone will have the URL that will lead you to an earlier article for doing so in that case.

Guinn

Attachments

• 241703-Heatervalve.jpg
    241703-Heatervalve.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 114
OP
Guinn

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
OOPS---- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif
Quote: If the heater doesn't pass enough hot water; should read: If the heater VALVE doesn't pass enough water.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Guinn

R6MGS

Yoda
Nice idea....Those OE heater valves are terrible...Drip right on the distributor....I have a brand new one that came with one of the cars, only the DPO tried to install it and split the seal, which if I remember correctly is part of the unit itself.

OP
Guinn

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
That's not the article I was thinking of, Tony, but possibly more to the point for most of us with heater problems. A good one to add to my inch-thick MG fixin's portfolio.

Guinn

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think if each of us did what that article describes, heater valve problems would go away!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I think if each of us did what that article describes, heater valve problems would go away!

[/ QUOTE ]

That article must be tellin you to buy some new fandangled thing he got in his stock.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
That article must be tellin you to buy some new fandangled thing he got in his stock.---Keoke-

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehehehe....nope, it tells us to do maintenance, & how to do it!