• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Voltmeter add on reccommendations?

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
For awhile now I've been considering adding a voltmeter to my TR-3A as an additional source of information about the electrical system performance. Any suggestions as to a brand / model that is reliable and stable? Any thoughts on analog vs digital? The digital multimeter I use for testing requires an educated guess to come up with an apparent average voltage. Are there digital versions of add ons that are damped?

I've seen a couple of TR-3s with the meter attached with a bracket on the lower edge of the dash. Suggestions?

Rick...

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I only use a voltmeter (while driving) on occasion -- such as after an electric mod or a control box adjustment or to diagnose a problem. For those things I have a simple meter that plugs into a power socket (aka cigarette lighter) that I have added in a discreet location.

Voltmeter%202_zpsdmfntuqb.jpg

Got the meter on Amazon, gone up quite a bit but still cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085GVX8E/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

It seems to be accurate and the reading is steady.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Cool, thanks for the tip, Geo! I just bought one. Now maybe I'll get motivated to add the outlet :smile:

IMO, battery voltage shouldn't be jumping around that much anyway. If you're seeing more than perhaps 0.2v of dither, there is a problem. OTOH, checking the control box open circuit voltage setting per the book does jump around a bunch. If you find a digital meter with that kind of damping, I'd like to hear about it. My thought was to build a filter that could be plugged into the meter, but I've not gone any further than that (and mentally averaging the reading of course).

OP
R

RC64

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
>> For those things I have a simple meter that plugs into a power socket (aka cigarette lighter) that I have added in a discreet location. <<

That gave me a idea. I have intended to add a lighter plug receptacle so I could then use one of those USB port adapters for charging a cell phone. I went to have a look on Amazon for the one you are using and I found this...

Adapter.jpg

That would solve all my projected needs in one spot. Volt meter, USB port, and a 12v supply for other goodies. I think it would mount nicely on bracket on the underside of the glovebox. I might just give it a try.

Rick...

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had to buy one of these. Was just $5 on Amazon. Works great. Plugged it into my Toyota to test on the way home from work. 12.2V with car not running. 13.8V with car running at speed. Will make diagnosing a faulty charging system too easy.

Thanks for the recommendation Geo.

pat