Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TR6 V8 Conversion

TR6 V8 Conversion

Dear All,
    Am looking for serious advice on the feasability of converting my 73 TR6 to a V8. Do any of you know of websites that go into detail of the mechanics of such. Thinking along the lines of a Buick (Rover) light weight engine. Would it hook up to my Triumph gearbox? Also want to keep the rearend stock. Am running a Sachs clutch off a Rover V8 - any adapter plates out there for a direct hookup? The simpler, the better, the old K.I.S.S. adage. My current engine is a total, quality rebuild with trip ZS carbs, rollers, etc. Beautiful! (and for sale) Just not enough raw power! Mid-life crisis!!
    Dr. Bill

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Re: TR6 V8 Conversion

Hi Dr Bill.
    Here is a great site!

http://britishv8.org/swaps/examples.htm

Looks like ALLLlll sorts of good ideas!
    Have fun [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thirsty.gif[/img]

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Oh No Dr Bill Oh No!!! actually since it goes into an mgb without much fuss a rover V8 isnt too bad an idea. I suggest the 5 spd 7/8 tranny is the way to go here,not the stock unit. Saw a BGT the other day that had AC that really worked, so you could also if you wanted to. The stock diff will take a lot of power if its in good shape.....
    Good luck !!
    MD(mad dog)

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Hi again.
    I forgot to mention this link...Just in case you didnt look for it

http://britishv8.org/swaps/index.htm#links

This has more links that may help you decide what you want ...Or NEED to do!
    Good luck. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thirsty.gif[/img]

... Or try an old fashioned Ford V8 (302 or 351 I believe), a guy here in Ontario has done and told me that it fit in almost perfectly and actually has better balance in there than the original engine.

He took the engine out of a 1979 Ford LTD, did some performance modifications and dropped it in. The car body doesn't look any different (even the hood - er bonnet to you Brits - doesn't need to be changed). Apparently a number of people in the States have done roughly the same thing. Unfortunately I don't know of a website to look up.

[ 06-17-2003: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Chats

Check out the latest "Newspaper" sale ad from TRF. There is an article about some guys from the Long Island Triumph Association who are building a V8 TR6. While they were at it, they also widened the car by six inches! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

I would go for a Ford 302 or Chevy 350.
    Parts galore, cheap and performance oriented.
    Plenty of nice add ons that will make the engine look sharp.

Some of the bulkhead needs to be cut away to get the bellhousing situated. It is something I have thought about and may do it one day, the prospect of good idle performance and no timing issues ever again are appealing .. not to mention a roaring V8 roadster.

[img]graemlins/cowboy.gif[/img]

Chats

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UltimateQuestion:
    Check out the latest "Newspaper" sale ad from TRF. There is an article about some guys from the Long Island Triumph Association who are building a V8 TR6. While they were at it, they also widened the car by six inches! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

I'm a member of the

Long Island Triumph Association, and, yes we are widening a TR-6 by 6 inches, and are going to put in a Rover Aluminium V-8. The front end will be lighter then with the iron 6 cylinder. The frame of the donor car was too rotted to be widened, so we welded up a new frame from 3 inch square tubing. There a pics and info on the web site. Click on the link above, and on the left side you'll see the TR6+6 link. [img]graemlins/thirsty.gif[/img]

Chats

I'd go for the Ford FI 302 V8 and T5 transmission for a 80s Mustang. They weight almost the same as the TR6 engine (the Chevy 350 weighs a bit more and is slightly larger). The TR6 doesn't really need the lightweight Rover V8.

Freshman Member
    Chats

Dr. Bill,

What all have you done to your motor performance wise? Has it been balanced? How about the cam? I'm looking for a really hot motor for my tr6.

How much are you asking?

Thanks

P.S. I'm going to add the triple su carbs this weekend, how do yours work? Was the performance noticeably improved?

Members who have read this thread: 1