• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 tr6 5speed conversion???

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Has anybody (or know anybody) installed the tr6--5speed conversion from New Zealand (Conversion Components) I need to know how it has worked out or if any problems. I am getting ready to install mine.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
not me, considered it but decided to go original with the addition of a volvo overdrive to my six. I know there are a few guys on here that have done it, be patient.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I don't know anyone whos installed the New Zealand kit, but several people I've talked to have used the HVDA kit and have seemed very pleased with it.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There is a guy by the name of Hermann who sells a very slick 5 speed adapter to the 6. I highly recomend it from aaall the satisfied clients he has. I have the web site if you need it but just google tr6 5 speed I am sure he will be there.The best part for you is he is in CA.

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Thank You, but I already have the New Zealand Kit, I bought a few years ago along with a Supra close ratio transmission to go with it, Im am finally getting ready to install it and wanted to find someone who already has---for any hints, advice or problems to look for. There was a company in California that handled theese kits, I think it was called XK-Unlimited. Thanks

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
No experience with any of these kits, but I would think the bugs or problems have been worked out or at least brought to light by now. I have a friend that put the Ford Type 9 trans conversion from England in his MGA. The biggest problem he had was getting all the parts from the vendor, who kept lying about delivery times etc. The conversion worked well except there was small alignment problem with the shifter itself.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
allan- I know a guy in canada who has done his. I will ask him if it is ok to forward his address to you if you like.

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you have the ability to weld aluminum, don’t waste your money on the kit. The circle patterns for a Toyota Celica and the TR6 are surprisingly close to the same. I used a donor TR6 transmission housing cutting out the starter mount and a section to weld in where the Toyota starter was removed.

I used the steel plate center hole of the engine mount as a fixture to weld the Triumph parts to the Toyota bell housing. I made a bushing centering the Toyota transmission input shaft with the engine mounting plate. It is amazing how close the bolt mounting holes are located between the two transmission bell housings.

You will have to fabricate a rear mounting bracket, rear yoke, shift lever, clutch disk, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and speedometer cable. I can provide details if interested.

I completed the conversion about five years ago and have driven over 10,000 miles. This includes several trips from Spartanburg, SC to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. In fifth gear I can cruse at 70 mph tacking between 2000 and 2500 rpm.

The conversion is well worth the time to fabricate the parts. My conversion is not one way. I can re-install the TR6 transmission easily in one afternoon.

Don’t use the Toyota close ratio transmission. The shift points are too close for the differential ratio.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Bigsix:
Sounds like you know what your doing; if you have the info, drawings etc, I would appreceate a copy. Also, if you have some pictures it would be great. If I could get 70mph at 2000 or 2500 RPM's I would drive my TR6 from Atl to LA and enjoy the beautiful fall, winter and spring top down weather here in Louisiana.

BTW, what else have you done to your TR6?

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Big 6, thats great you were able to build your own conversion--it sounds interesting, But with the cutting and welding you had to do is exaxtly why I went with a kit, which came with all parts needed including adapter to position the shift lever (that came with it)in the right position. All the mounting holes are not just close they are right on. The kit also came with the rear yoke and rear mount. The Supra transmission is known to be stronger than the Celica and smoother shifting. There is a small amount of difference in gear ratios between a close ratio and standard ratio and does hardly matter what the rear ratio is. wheather it is 4.11 or 3.50 a close ratio still gives you less of a drop in rpm between gears and the fifth gear is still overdrive. This is not a one way kit, it can always be converted back to stock. I havent installed mine yet but I know I have all the parts and All the holes line up.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Will this conversion also work on the TR-3's and 4's??

PeterK

Yoda
Yes. There is a different version for solid axle TRs that has a different rear gearbox mounting arrangement. I have one for both my 4A and 3A! See blindmoosefab.com or google for HVDA Triumph. PeterK