• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Thoughts on HS6 conversion for TR6?

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I converted form Strombergs back in the late 70's on my TR250 & found the car ran smoother. I have no empirical data as far as true performance, but I know the SU's were easier to tune so it stands to reason you would have more success in getting better performance.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
What too you soooooo long to respond guys? Like, it was about 6 whole minutes before you made good information available.

Holy cow this forum is great!

Thanks guys - and have a good Sunday.

philman

Jedi Knight
i put twin hs6's on my tr7 fhc. I like it much better than the weber down drafts or the strombergs that were on previously. smoother throttle response and i had no flat spots in the power curve.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
You should see the artical in the new classics&motorsports on tr6 tuning..good stuff.The only real problem INMHO was that they did NOT compare the two carb to the tri set-up after the head mods to see how much power is wasted by the stock manifold.I for one would be very curious!!
MD(mad dog)

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
That issue hasn't hit our local Borders yet, but I'll track it down!

Phil - did they fit without too much trouble?

Thanks guys.

terp83

From a Healey person--

Somewhere around the house (or garage)I have a carb tuning and rebuild video by an outfit called ZTherapy. They specialize in HS6 carbs, and the close copies that were installed on the early Z cars. Their website is https://www.ztherapy.com/ I haven't ever dealt with them, but they seem to know their stuff.

I have purchased parts from Ted at TSI; he is great to deal with. I bought a gear-reduction starter from him, and he sent me a replacement set of mounting bolts (at no charge)after one of mine had fallen out while I was on a drive.

I don't recall ever reading anything positive about Strombergs.

Jerry

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

IMHO, when either one is in good condition and properly tuned there's little driving/performance difference between ZS 175CD and SU HS6. They operate the same, give about the same performance and are virtually interchangeable. I wonder if people tend to be biased for or against one or the other just based upon a bad or good experience, because the carbs really aren't all that different.

SU's are a little easier to work on and get spare parts for. There is a wider range of needle choices for SU (but SU needles can be adapted to use in ZS). And SUs have been far more widely used so more people are familiar with setting them up and keeping them in tune. These are about the only clear advantages I can see.

For a fast street TR6, the *triple* carb setup with either the SUs or ZSs should make a very good arrangement and give quite noticible improvement over the stock dual carbs and manifold. Do some port work on the head, install a somewhat hotter cam, maybe increase CR a bit, add a true "extractor" header with a smooth flowing exhaust system, and make sure the ignition system is up to the job. I bet you'll be smiling each time you press your foot down on that RH pedal!

Yes, I'd wager either SUs or ZSs would be better than the Weber downdraft carb arrangement. Perhaps the difference is the funky manifold used for this setup, adding length and turns that probably mess with air flow.

On TR6, a triple Weber sidedraft (DCOE) would be the next step up over a triple SU or ZS setup. Dedicating a carb throat to each cylinder just makes for maximum potential tuning. Also, Weber DCOE have an accelerator pump, which both ZS and SU lack. But to do this right really means putting the car on a dyno and working through all the details.

On the other hand, compared to Weber sidedraft, both ZS and SU are more "self-correcting" for changing conditions such as air density variations due to altitude, temperature and humidity.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gee, Don't we know of someone trying to offload his "trips"

G

[ QUOTE ]

I don't recall ever reading anything positive about Strombergs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, I love my Strombergs. They are a great carb that have given me almost zero trouble. Of course, the trick to getting any 30+ year old carb to act like new is to make it new. Gary Martin rebuilt my triple ZS carbs to concours condition. They are perfect.